Thursday, January 12, 2006

Atkinson Grimshaw

For over twenty years I have been drawn to the paintings of the Victorian artist, Atkinson Grimshaw. I suppose I feel an affinity with him because my own craft involves painting with light and it is in the effects of light and the creation of atmosphere that Grimshaw excelled.

I was thinking of him yesterday when I took this photograph in Cirencester Parish Church's graveyard. The picture of his that I had in my mind was 'Tree Shadows on the Park Wall, Roundhay Park, Leeds'. I made use of the sun to form the shadows but Grimshaw depicted a lot of his scenes lit by moonlight - I'm not sure I'd want to spend to much time in this location late at night. He also used figures to give the picture scale - I had no-one to call on and I'm not sure I'd have had much success going out in to the street and inviting passers-by to join me amongst the tombstones.

Still you never know, there's some strange people about.

2 comments:

shara said...

What a lov..um...beautiful picture. And Mr. Grimshaw's no slouch either.

Canbush said...

You are too kind. And don't worry - both lovely and beautiful are good for my ego.