Saturday, August 25, 2007

Contemplation in a Flowerbed

Pixie and I like objects in the garden. In various places on our small plot, hidden by the rampant post-deluvium growth, there's a Venus rising from the waves, Roman man-about-town, couple of fountains, sort of wheel thing, bird bath, Celtic cross and a sea horse. Oh, and, horror of horrors, at least one gnome. However pride of place goes to Pixie's Buddha - apparently something about him reminds her of me, possibly the bit hidden in the shadow cast by his hands.

Despite a lifetime's career lighting people, places and things, my garden is a bit on the dark side at night. I have ongoing projects in a typical manly fashion; they have completion dates set decades ahead and illuminating the garden is one of them. For the moment some small solar-powered gizmos do the job, fading gently away as the night progresses.

3 comments:

Pauline said...

Isn't everybody's garden on the dark side at night? After two weeks away, I don't want any more light shed on mine than necessary - and still the weeds don't outweigh the cucumbers and tomatoes coming in by the hundreds. Looks like canning is the word for the next few weeks.

btw - the tea lit up my day! Thanks!

Lee said...

Do I hear wind chimes?

Canbush said...

Glad the tea made it OK, Pauline - you can't beat a good cuppa.

I like to see a bit of a glow in a garden at night but lack the impetus to sort it out. Unlike I imagine where you live, we always have light pollution, mainly from a street light at the front of the house but also from neighbours' security lighting - I want to overpower it.

Lee - of course, and a gong; what did you expect?