Friday, September 15, 2006

Glowing Lamp & Two Elizabethans

I became a touch bored while working the other day so I decided to take some close-up photographs of light bulbs, as you do. For a while it was quite rewarding. Fade up a little, click, fade down a little, click, the afternoon drifted by. But then it began to pall. There's only so much fun you can have with a lamp.

Peter and I had a BAO today - that's a boy's day out without the morning. We went over to the tithe barn I featured the other day and then into the nearby church. There's a seventeenth-century memorial there that I've tried photographing before but with limited success. Today, with Peter showing me some clever tricks with a remote flash, the results were more like what I'm looking for.

You may think it's a strange subject, two effigies of long-dead Elizabethans, but I find these images fascinating. The hands, in particular, draw me. Given the choice between an afternoon photographing ancient tombs and one photographing people, there would be no contest - sorry, people.

Disappearing again for a couple of weeks. See you in October, if you're still hanging in there

3 comments:

shara said...

I've taken many a lightbulb shot, but never been lucky enough to photograph ancient tombs. And I say that quite seriously, but I suspect you know that already. Hope September and October are good to you, and I'll be looking forward to your return.

Flea said...

Whow, what magic!
Take care Dave we'll eagerly await your return, what ever you do, stay safe, well and wealthy LOL.

Was gonna ask: does your brother really live in S-Perth still?

Kilroy_60 said...

Interesting how at times photographing representations of people is more enjoyable than shooting people.

Ever thought of joining in a group blog to display photographs?