Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Mist


Going through another quiet, urge-lacking spell hence the paucity of posting (but not, it would appear, of alliteration).

Still it's good to be able to find an image from close to home for a change. Jubilee Bridge is about a mile away, providing a shortcut from our village to the south side of the Vale. I've stopped there are numerous occasions when the light's been interesting. One morning a couple of weeks ago, after a good, hard frost and with a light mist glowing in the low sun, the world (and Pixie, bless her cotton socks) begged me to stop the car and give it a bit of a going over. As always I had the wrong lens on the camera but that was to no avail. Shoot me, shoot me, said the river.

So I did.

5 comments:

Lee said...

Looks lovely! (I smell muffins and coffee, for some reason)

Pauline said...

I feel a poem stirring in all that lovely mist...

Canbush said...

I can go with that, Lee, although you'll need to clarify what sort of muffins you're talking about.

I look forward to it, Pauline

shara said...

I'm glad you stopped. Pixie rocks. But explain the lens comment, if it suits you to do so. I'm ignorant of lenses, just pointing and shooting the way I do. Gorgeous picture, and who can resist an appropriate alliterative phrase when it presents itself - or rather, why even attempt resistance?

Canbush said...

I'm a slave to alliteration!

Anyway what I needed on this occasion was a wide-angle lens so that I could get more of the river in and perhaps the hills beyond. What I had was a narrow angle zoom and the image is as wide as I could go with it (since the lens is really designed for long distance magnification, or for portraiture where it allows you to get close-ups of faces without distortion - Peter can explain this so much better. It doesn't matter really, as long as you think it looks OK!

I like a big wide angle lens because you can get so much more in and the distortion that can occur in the foreground often adds a strange dimension - I'll have to find you an image that demonstrates that.

It's one of the dilemmas that comes with a camera with interchangeable lens.