Thursday, March 20, 2008

User Friendly?

I was very tempted to break the silence of the last few weeks with yet another ecclesiastical image; I've spent a lot of time recently hiding from the wind in churches. However I don't really possess a cruel streak so I've passed on the organ pipes, gothic windows and hymnals. Instead an image from the new religion.



To be honest I'm not sure what this is. I think it might be a super-thin Apple MAC. Very neat but where do you put all the bits that make it work? The big hard drive, the card readers, the DVD ROM, etc. Perhaps they're hidden round the back somewhere; I didn't look as the machine didn't really interest me.

I've always found MAC owners to be very defensive. They seem to have some personal vendetta against Bill Gates who, despite his leanings towards world domination, is one of the world's great philanthropists. Also the MACites are always bleating on about how superior their toys are. They probably are. So was the Betamax. Enough said. What if Windows does crash at the slightest provocation, like a change in the wind direction in the Outer Hebrides or you accidentally putting the milk in after the tea instead of before? It's not a perfect world - that would be boredom personified.

Incidentally this isn't a product shot I ripped off - I took it while setting the lights for a television programmes called The Gadget Show. It was a change to design the lighting for something that didn't involve poker players.

6 comments:

Peter Bryenton said...

Pretty, but who wants an external CD drive?
Cool lighting. We need our own studio, mate.

Pauline said...

Hey you two - I'm a MACophile so be gentle with that criticism (me? defensive? not that I can't take it - you want to fight eh? Picture me dancing about, fists up, shouting, "Put up your dukes! Put em up, put em up!")

Lee said...

I AM NOT GETTING DEFENSIVE!!

Yes, it is a Mac Book Air.

I am sitting in a hotel in Malacca using one right now, write now.

shara said...

I'd break it in a minute, or my girls would. if I had a laptop it would have to be made of something heavy and indestructible. and I spend enough time at the computer anyway, I don't need to be lugging one around with me, light or heavy or somewhere in between. (though I'm glad lee took his, I was over at his blog yesterday, travelling vicariously.)

Anonymous said...

I'm lucky enough to have a new iMac sitting next to me at work, and with my MacBook Pro at home I'm a definite convert of some time now. Good to see you're still snapping and lighting! I'm firmly in this 9-to-5.30 thing now and there are times where I do miss throwing flightcases around. Hope you and family are well.
I've been doing a bit of exploring around Nottingham during my lunch-hour and taking my camera phone with me. Thinking of keeping my Pentax with me now. Have a look at http://gallery.mac.com/jonathan.relf/100006
Cheers!

Canbush said...

I knew a little snipe at MACs would get results - it's not often I travel to the dark side.

Shara - I think you can get laptops that have been ruggedized (great word). Just what you need for a few words of prose and knocking the odd nail in.

Good to hear from you, Jonathan. Regular hours, eh? How do you cope? And I like the piccies - Midland Railway, I imagine.