Friday, May 30, 2008

Australian couple subjected to strange cottage pie


Little do Lee and Margaret suspect, as they chat to Peter and Sparkly, that they are about to do battle with one of my infamous Italian cottage pies, a combination of potato and bolognese sauce (and beans) that would be enough to bring any Tuscan chef to their knees in supplication - 'please, please, Senor Dave, please make only the bangers and mash or the spotted dick.Please leave our beautiful cuisine alone. We beg of you, for the sake of our mothers.' No wonder I can only travel to Italy in disguise.

Without the power of the internet, we would have remained complete strangers but blogging will out - I think Lee and I first made contact in January 2006. It's taken a while to get to the eyeball stage (a horrible expression from the days of CB radio when passing truckers would shout 'eyeball, eyeball!' into their microphones as they narrowly avoided running each other off the road).

Still it was worth the wait. We had tracked their adventures around the globe over the past few weeks and now here they were in almost sunny Worcestershire. The rain held off, the wind died and everything in the garden was lovely, except the lawn.

It was grand, as they say up north and a right pleasure.

And so to the next leg - bon voyage.

5 comments:

Pauline said...

mmmm... bangers and mash! I was wishing myself right THERE with all of you! (If wishes were airline tickets, bloggers would fly)

Susan Lucente said...

I'm with Pauline on that!!! Oh to have been a fly on the wall during that visit... 3 of my favorite bloggers and their mates all in the same place. So glad you had that opportunity. Makes you realize how small the world really is doesn't it?

Canbush said...

Thanks Pauline and Susan. The wonders of technology and travel. Whose next?

shara said...

oh it must have been something, the six of you, and cottage pie as well? (I've never had cottage pie, actually. when I hear cottage pie I think cottage cheese and shepherd's pie, which of course is nothing like what you're describing, and why I mention it at all I don't know. but then again, I don't know - or choose not to know - half of why I do what i do.)

enough of that nonsense, though. I'm glad it was a good visit, and the lawn looks just fine. now if you could get that rain-stopping-thing to work here, that would be lovely and much appreciated.

Lee said...

It was a lovely evening that went far too quickly. Episode 2 in Australia?