Wednesday, October 18, 2006

First Kiss of the Sun

Cadillac Mountain in Maine is not the most easterly point of the USA but, because of its height, it's the first place to feel the kiss of the sun's rays in the morning. Apparently people hike up there before sunrise just so as to experience this momentous happening; it is frequently shrouded in mist so disappointment must be rife.

A road leads to the top and the inevitable gift shop and restaurant. Even on the late autumn day that we visited it was crowded with cars, motorbikes and buses. Having not been there for the break of dawn I can't say if it's any better then. Nevertheless the 'let's destroy the atmosphere of a place by making it too accessible' approach to life is a worldwide phenomenon and Cadillac Mountain was no better nor worse than any other.

The presence of two cruise ships in the harbour would not have helped. At some places during our trip there were four ships at a time moored in these out-of-the-way places. Quite an influx for the locals to take their cut from.

Incidentally we booked what few tours we took with the locals rather than giving the cruise line their extortionate cut. They never miss an opportunity to try and extract money from you and it would be fair to say that life on-board is akin to living in an extremely comfortable and spacious begging bowl.

7 comments:

Pauline said...

Mountaintop "hospitality" is a phenomenon here in the east. Yesterday my youngest daughter and I hiked 924 feet up to a "house" at the very top that began its life as a drinking shack for wealthy (and rugged) young men. There were trucks and cars galore carrying the less athletically inclined to the building that was an Inn for years, run by a single family. Now it's just a place to wander through; no one stays there anymore.

Peter Bryenton said...

Is this the mountain that gave its name to the car?

Pauline said...

B: The Cadillac automobile was named after the 17th century French explorer Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac, founder of Detroit, Michigan (the auto manufacturing mecca) in 1701.

Canbush said...

Thanks, Pauline. It's not happened to Bredon Hill yet so you're still safe for a visit.

If I remember the tour quide correctly, Cadillac had something to do with the area which is/was part of French-speaking Acadia.

But I could be wrong.

Pauline said...

I looked it up since I didn't know, either. I found information at www.acadia.net.

Flea said...

Will it help if I say I envy you! It looks like my kinda thing to do, climbing the hill out and admiring the view. Luxury cruise boats included.

Canbush said...

I'm now a cruise evangelist, I'm afraid. I always thought I'd hate them but I've been converted. That said, I wouldn't want spend days at sea or visit places that were no more than a beach and a bar.