Monday, October 15, 2007

Not Lived

I'm a fairly cheery bloke by nature, not given to great seriousness, except in my taste in music, so when a sombre moment creeps up on me, it catches me by surprise. That's how it was with the bit of free verse below. I don't know where it came from. I was sitting at the lighting control desk in Maidstone Studio 1, at peace with the world, everything looking as it should, lunch approaching and then this serious nonsense just appeared in my head. Before I could say 'whoa', it was on the page and lurking with intent.

Not Lived

Outside the open door,
The world awaits,
Its warm light beckons,
Come,
Bask in my glory,
It says,
Revel in my scents,
Let me surround you
With sound
I will enchant.

You do not go.
The glow does not extend
Beyond the threshold
Quite far enough,
To touch your heart,
You cower,
In a corner,
Safe, unharmed,
Life limited,
Not lived.

As an antidote I searched out this image from my 'Door Furniture Shadows' collection. Incidentally if you've seen it, or its mate above, before, I apologise. I'm not in a position to shoot much fresh stuff at the moment as I'm working 12 hours a day or more. Also I've a poor memory of previous usage. These were on a disk I found in my laptop bag. Unfortunately there was no chocolate to accompany it, just some oozing Remagel indigestion chews.

4 comments:

Peter Bryenton said...

Gnomonic, Dave.

As for oozing Remagels, they're more effective when used as blu-tak. It took a gallon of hot, soapy water with much fierce scrubbing to remove one from my zippy-pocket wallet the other day.

Pauline said...

Now and then its good to note the sombre. At least you did it beautifully. Those last three lines effectively sum up your title.

The shadow are equally wonderful!

shara said...

I quite enjoyed the images and the words. At the moment I've got the idea of finding a whole slew of images with three doors, there's a song I want to illustrate. And as I can't recall ever having taken a picture of three doors, I suppose this means I'll have to go somewhere to do that. Not today, though, it's raining steady and it's cold. Today's a good day to stay home. Though maybe a walk, all bundled up, in the cold rain might be good. Home will seem even warmer and cozier then, and I'll be ready to curl up on the futon and nap a bit.

Canbush said...

Thank you, one and all and thank you, Shara, for keeping that weather to yourself, at least for the time being.