Monday, October 08, 2007

Three in Steam

I think my interest in railways has surfaced in this journal from time to time. Generally, though, I keep it under wraps, a guilty secret that runs contrary to my arty pretentions. To be honest I'm not that interested in the locomotives and rolling stock although the smell of a steam locomotive on heat is pretty irresistable, the sound sends shivers down my spine and the sight of one at speed is beyond compare. Still, small beer really. It's the system engineering that fascinates me - the routes, signalling, architecture, etc.

This group of three were operating on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway at the weekend. Sorry about the lack of smell and sound.



5 comments:

Lee said...

What!? What do you mean 'contrary to arty pretentions'? They are beautiful!

Canbush said...

Absolutely, Lee, I couldn't agree more. I'm referring to my pretence to being all precious and moody about my 'work' when I'd really rather be wielding a shovel and covered in soot and grease - now that would be heaven.

Pauline said...

Oh, the sound and the smell are there in the pictures to anyone who loves trains, too.

Canbush said...

That's very true, Pauline. Was there steam around in your childhood or had it all been dieselised by then?

Pauline said...

The only trains I knew were diesel. But oh! I loved them...