Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Just Like Buses

This journal is a bit like waiting for a bus; nothing passes for a few months then along come two one after another. I’ve no idea why that happens – famine then feast. It’s a fairly unremarkable sort of feast though; a couple of chicken drumsticks perhaps, some soggy crisps and a chickpea-based dip that will have you leaping from bed at three in the morning and dashing to the bathroom.

See, now I’m in a quandary. I’ve started this posting in a lull at work, a lull that started yesterday at about 3pm and is still going strong at 9pm this evening but little is tasking me at the moment so I’ve nothing really to talk about. Sure the world’s financial markets are in turmoil but since no-ones rung me for my opinion, I might as well let them stew for a bit longer. They’ll sort themselves out eventually - the rich will stay rich and the poor will get poorer. It was ever thus.

Despite anguished cries and much breast beating from owners and estate agents alike, house prices continue their downward spiral to the sort of prices they ought to be, had rampant greed not taken hold. I suppose that does wind me up, the way people become so incensed because a nonsensical situation has been corrected to one that more justly reflects the relationship between the price of your home and your earnings. And unless you have to sell it, it’s all virtual money anyway. Surely nothing has a value until it’s bought, sold or bartered.

Anyway I’ve no idea what the residential accommodation shown in today’s image could be bought for. It looks pretty picturesque but I would imagine the garden gets a bit soggy at times and it will be a touch on the noisy side when there’s fog about.


4 comments:

shara said...

ah, feast and famine, my perpetually alternating companions.

having been born on the east coast of canada I'm partial to lighthouses, but I doubt I'd be able to live in one. all those stairs. mind you, imagine how fit and spry I'd be.

it's a grey dreary day, the fall rains are here. I'm in a lull of my own, but it's self-induced; I seem to be stuck in some kind of existential muck. or perhaps a morass...whatever a morass might be.

(oh yes. I just looked it up. morass it is.)

Canbush said...

An existential morass. Sounds a bit sticky to me. It's the grey days that do it - we've had a lot of those this year. Seems to sap the creative urge, and the urge to exercise, with or without lighthouses.

Pauline said...

I like popping in on a regular basis to see if you've posted something new. It's the most exercise (unless chasing after 30 second graders counts) I get some days, especially the gray ones!

Canbush said...

I'm pleased that you are keeping the faith, Pauline, and I'm sorry that your visits are so often in vain.