Friday, October 03, 2008

Four (or three)

Once again I sit here bereft of words. I was thinking about having a bit of a rant about flying. A couple of weeks ago I returned from Barcelona in three hops instead of two, thanks to the inefficiencies of Swissair (obviously they were on cuckoo-clock timing rather than Omega that day). I could mention the yelling child, the unnecessary security checks, the cramped seats, the unexpected visit to Paris, etc, etc (and what a dump Charles De Gaulle Airport is), the fact I'd worked to four in the morning the night before. However, somewhat strangely, I'm not in the mood for whinging about air travel. That said, I'm off to Rotterdam on Sunday so the next flight might just tip the balance.

I was up at six this morning and it's now six in the evening; I'm not a morning person. I'll be working for another three or four hours yet, perhaps more. I'm only months short of my bus-pass and I should be into the pipe-and-slippers phase of my existence. My bonhomie will turn to malhomie. The slightest thing will make me scowl and mutter and my expansive view of the pleasures of life will contract into a tiny malodorous corner of my mind and fester away to itself. I will become a lesser person. And I'll eat.

See. I've just opened a bag of crisps (chips to you, Pauline). Do I need them? They are an upmarket brand. They're low-fat, low-salt, but they're also low-need. I'm eating them because I'm bored, underwhelmed and because I can.

There, just had another handful. What do they put in crisps to make them so moreish? And whatever it is, would it work in sprouts? Or cauliflower? Or chicken legs?

The image, by the way, could be a three or a four - your choice.

(I've just sealed up the remainder of the crisps. They're sitting on the desk in front of me. A strange, Satanic power is emanating from the seemingly innocent bag. Despite every force at my disposal, within the next thirty minutes I will reopen it. There is no power on earth that can resist the presence of crisps. It is the One Ring That BInds Them All. It is my burden, my Precious, and my stomach is Mount Doom.)


8 comments:

Lee said...

You can't seal up crisps!!

Canbush said...

How very true. I shouldn't have bothered trying - they were gone inside 5 minutes.

Pauline said...

I have to avoid buying them if I want to avoid eating chips (crisps to you ;)

And now you've got my mouth watering and my stomach grumbling and nothing in the house (though I shall take a bite of everything I can find) will satisfy!

Canbush said...

If Marie-Antoinette had said 'let them eat crisps', maybe the French Revolution would never have happened.

I particularly like the Cape Cod brand.

Another_Peter said...

I was going to say that I had been catching-up on your 'backblog'; but reading everything you have written from top to bottom (which perversely for a Westerner is going back in time) I eventually found that you had invented the phrase yourself. Damn You To London. (Secular version of Hell.) Anyway I won't, as later (earlier as I read it) you seem to think that 'blog' is a four-letter word.

I suppose that if we accept 'blog' for 'web log', we should also be using the word 'blinks'.

I empathised with your ennui when stuck in a TV studio gallery; but remember that a theist has Hell to look forward to, whereas a humanist has to take all his punishment in life. (Is that original??)

BTW, (as they type) how did you persuade Douglas Adams, Alan Coren, Stephen Fry and Ed Reardon to write your journal? At least one of them is fictional and two of them are dead. I suppose they could be ghost-writers. And how did Monica become Pixie?

Have you ever photographed inside the 15th century St Bartholomew's church at Tong near me? It can be gloomy, but it is full of old lumpy things such as the tombs of the Vernons and Sir Fulke Pembrugge, which with your influence you might persuade to reflect light occasionally.

There's also a Green Man misericord and the gilded ceiling in the chapel is said to be original. I must stop, as I'm sounding like Henry D'Ascoyne - "I always say that the corbels have all the exuberance of Chaucer, without - happily - any of his attendant vulgarities."

Is this too long for a comment?

nurilhakim said...

Warmest regards, just dropping by..
With a question:
Looking for peace?
Feeling empty inside?
Well,
what do you know about Islam?
Ask me, or visit www.linkstoislam.com.
Take the trouble!Thanx!!

Lee said...

Hi Dave, I know you are in there somewhere. Very best wishes to you and yours for the Christmas season.

Canbush said...

And to you and yours, Lee. I'm still here!