Wednesday, February 01, 2006

More Old Iron

I've just watched a television advert extolling the virtues of 'bifidus digestium'. Isn't it refreshing to know that in this supposed age of learning and scientific discovery, the pedlars of snake oil are still alive and well? The next advert offered the discerning purchaser the opportunity to embalm their skin with 'Pro-Tensium', an elixir which apparently gives the fortunate user skin taut enough to beat out a drum-roll. What joy! Pseudo science rules! Ask any of the addle-brained supporters of anti-evolutionary theories.

In the rational world, enriched with reality and common sense, a good dose of iron is supposed to work wonders. Today's images illustrate two sources of this element but in a rather unpalatable form. No doubt a pharmacist could supply it ready to swallow. Or you could drink a pint or two of Guinness.



4 comments:

Canbush said...

Excellent idea but a bit short of snakes in the UK! I never seen one in Australia either but perhaps I've just been lucky (or unlucky depending on your view). I camped up on the Victoria/NSW border a few years ago and definitely felt a bit wary.

Not a Guinness man myself, more into real ale, rich in Riboflavin and Nicotinic acid, I believe, whatever they are.

shara said...

There's something better than Guinness? Do tell.

I'm really enjoying your writing lately. And the photographs aren't too bad, either.

Canbush said...

Blues Mama, thank you once again for your comments. Perhaps the dull, cold weather is concentrating the mind.

Port is the tipple of choice. I'm not a big fan of spirits although a good Speyside malt whisky is not to be sneezed at. Brandy, etc, good for cleaning car engine parts but not much else. Quite partial to Madeira and use it a lot for cooking - excellent sloshed into a pan of frying mushrooms along with some cream.

Real ale is the man. Conditioned in the barrel or bottle from which it's served - no gas added, and totally unlike lager. Can be bitter or sweet. Nectar!

Canbush said...

Now that's where I'm going wrong. It's this stupid honest streak - fancy suggesting real snake oil! I'll never make a businessman.

Nothing wrong with a cool red. In fact with some of the French stuff it's essential so as to avoid actually tasting the stuff. Not so, it goes without saying, for the superior offerings from Oz. Not too keen on most of the Hunter Valley wines, although I've had the odd good one. Anywhere else, excellent.

Tend to drink whites from NZ although the Margaret River wines take some beating. A bit of a shock the price of wine in Australia - I could swear we can buy it cheaper in the UK but perhaps you only send us the dregs!!

You've got your own port, haven't you. I bought a bottle of something which I think was indigenous from David Jones in Sydney last April. I'm now short of one arm and a leg!.

Without labouring on too much, I used to have shares in a Scottish Brewery called Belhaven. Never managed to find any on sale in England so had my first ever pint of the stuff in Albany, West Australia. Long way to go for a jar.