Monday, July 31, 2006

Tritone Apples

Now before you all start shouting at me for going back on my word, this isn't monochrome, it's something that my picture editor calls a Tritone; it's an amalgam of bottomless pit, russet and sunshine-yellow (the colours had some boring offical names in Paintshop but mine sound prettier).

Also, although there is a third apple hidden away at the top, it is not a three; it's a two with a shy friend.

The image shows some of the ripening fruit on the old apple tree at the bottom of our garden. It seems to be going well this year; some years there is almost nothing. There are three (that word again!) varieties grafted onto a single rootstock. I've no idea what the names of the apples are but they seem to be cookers - they make a damn good crumble. Since we don't spray them, they usually come with a non-vegetarian component.

These apples, and a few barely ripe grapes, are the only edible output from our garden (the lettuce have died and the herbs are squeaking in droughty anquish). We used to grow a few vegetables but they fell by the wayside as they were too much like young children or aging prima-donnas, always demanding attention. Yes, I know there's nothing as good as home-grown broad beans or new potatoes but cultivating the things fall into the 'life's too short to peel a grape' category.

Give me swathes of perennial shrubs, covering every inch of ground and fighting tooth-and-nail for space. Or a few tons of gravel.

8 comments:

shara said...

Dave, I'm with you. No prima donna plants here. Apple crumble, oh. Much better than Apple brown betty, I think. It almost makes me want to bake. Almost. But with temperatures in the 100s all this week, I don't think any baking is going to be going on, I'll have to save that for the late fall and winter.

Peter Bryenton said...

More garden pics please Dave: the world should see the marvellous outdoor rooms you have created over the years.

As for the apple accessories, it's all good protein.

Lever said...

Core blimey!

Gravel, block-paving, pine cones and tree-bark indeed.

Pauline said...

Such a lovely picture - another one I'd like to put in my calendar if I may. All that warm sunlight and soft brown tones.

Josephine said...

There is nothing more delicious than the skin of a home-grown apple.

YUMMM!!!

As for your gravel comment...that seems atypical for you...

Canbush said...

Quite right, Bluesmama, slaving over a hot stove when you could be out painting your garden blue; where would be the fun in that?

I'll see what I can do, Peter

You've been watching too many make-over programmes, Lever

It's on its way, Pauline, Thank you.

Joesphine, it's the only unprocessed fruit I eat (but I'm weird like that!)

Susan Lucente said...

I find this picture comforting in some way.... can't put my finger on it, but I like it very much.

Canbush said...

Thank you, Susan, an interesting reaction.