Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Effects of Drink

I may have drunk too much tea today. Can you say that, if you're British? Is excessive consumption possible? I'm sure it's given me wind.

Non-alcoholic drinks are a tricky call. Water bores me and it's only a remedy for extreme thirst, not a recipe for pleasure; (try telling an earthquake victim that). Coke and juices are far too sweet. That leaves coffee or tea. I love coffee, it's probably an addiction, and I've spent years trying to achieve the liquid perfection at home that I've experienced in Australia, Canada and, if I'm forced to admit it, France. Thanks to some investment in equipment and a good source of beans, I'm now close to that goal. What is my reward? The buzz! An afternoon of hyper activity and disconnection from the real world. Hence the tea. Well, thank you, world.

I suppose my disenchantment is a side effect of the increased life expectancy enjoyed by our pampered Western civilisation. We can now live long enough to get tired of the basic pleasures of life, pleasure that many can only dream of. It is a very sorry, very over-privileged state of affairs.

No comments: