Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Poised to Spring


I'm revisiting some old themes with the above picture. It's always a pleasure when the subject illuminates itself which is probably why I like photographing lamps. Or perhaps I'm just too lazy to find my own light sources.

The springs are the essence of the Anglepoise Lamp, an invention dating back to 1933. A colleague of mine once lit a newsreader with a pair of these when the studio lighting failed - the show must go on (but she didn't look too good with 200 watts worth of illumination instead of 3 kilowatts).

Well, I can't think of anything much to whinge about or praise today. I'm in a sort of opinion limbo. Plenty of things irritate me but none are worthy of my scorn. I''ll save it for something more deserving.

Actually on the praise side, at least two young women with kids in pushchairs thanked me when I held a door open for them today - what is the world coming to?

And this which intrigued me, from a woman in a teashop in Moreton-in-Marsh.

"Doughnuts I know I'm safe with - anything else I can't take a chance".

6 comments:

Pauline said...

Threes and a spot of red - welcome back Dave :)

Safe with doughnuts, huh? Does this woman live in a cave? (Though doughnuts might well be safer than spinach and lettuce just now, eh?)

Peter Bryenton said...

Taken in Three Springs Road?

Lever said...

So simple and yet so beautiful.

Merry Xmas from across the pond :)

Gargoyle said...

Ah, doughnuts. Maybe she is diabetic and the doughnut has just the right amount of sugar after her shots? Maybe she is a squarecakeophobiac, and can only face the doughnuts at the local patisserie? Life is hard for squarecakeophobiacs!

Kilroy_60 said...

Hey, always good to come by and see you're posting!

We're having a blog carnival, it would be great if you played along.
For Success - Sponsoring the Gonzo Carnival Series

Do you think you might be interested in a photography themed carnival? Maybe hosting??

When you have a chance, how about logging into Blog Shares and putting out some more stock.

Have a great '07!!

Pauline said...

aren't you ever coming back?