Monday, April 09, 2007

DIY


Although it might appear that Peter and I are an inseparable duo, a photographic Laurel and Hardy, wresting strange images from the clutches of the British countryside, this is not always so. In fact much of our picture making is carried out solo and without the benefit of a safety net.

Such was the case a couple of days ago when I decided to revisit a location at Rous Lench that had intrigued me on an earlier occasion. Given the right lighting, the grove of trees to the south of the churchyard presents an interesting mixture of light, shade and symbolism. In one place you have a dark enclosed passage, a gate, and a bright horizon - psychological mumbo jumbo on a plate.

This time I felt the need to pose a figure waiting at the gate to give it some additional meaning – a farmer surveying his domain, looking out for a errant cow, a lover waiting for his beloved to come tripping o'er the lea, or, as in this case, a large photographer wearing a strange Australian hat. Without my trusty companion, this had to be a Do-It-Yourself job. Fortunately my camera allows me a choice of shutter delay. I settled for 10 seconds on the basis that 2 would give me a heart attack, 5 would lead to me tripping over a tree root in the rush to get in position and 20 would give me time to have a nap, which I didn't really need.

Here is the result. I got a lot of exercise dashing back and forth to get the correct exposure and also persuading myself to stand in the right place.

3 comments:

Pauline said...

or...a fellow contemplating a peaceful afterlife after tripping over a tree root in his blind grief at being rebuffed by his beloved who'd been tripping o'er the lea with another chap, then confronting an errant cow, thereby losing the argument with himself to pose as a peaceful farmer...

the photograph is beautiful

shara said...

10 seconds quite well spent, the picture's a story, I love that kind.

Canbush said...

I think Pauline has the story! Thank you, both