Thursday, April 12, 2007

Doing the Crossword

There are some activities that are tailor-made for the cosy nook of an old Devonian pub. Here Pixie sits, contemplating 12 across, bathed in the glow of a table lamp and warmed by an unseen log fire, the tang of smoke in the air.

Real ale is being consumed, ale brewed on the premises, a strong, nutty, slightly sweet concoction, the sort of beer that leads to an evening of gentle supping and a night of silliness. Steadfast and upright in the centre of the table, condiments, ready to go forth into battle with a pile of mash and some giant sausages.

But until then, the crossword, to be resolutely tackled against a background of murmured conversation, clinking glasses and crackling wood. Heavens are made of this.

3 comments:

Pauline said...

British pubs are ever so much nicer than American bars (not that I've toured many but the two I've been in my life were not anything like what you've just described). I have fond memories of my pub time in England, particularly of bangers and mash!

shara said...

I keep coming back to look at this picture. Completely welcoming, and a beautiful Pixie too.

Book titles everywhere today!

contemplating 12 across

I love three word pictures.

Canbush said...

Pleased you're pleased, Shara! I'm sure both you and Pauline would have enjoyed an evening in this pub although the road to it is not for the faint-hearted. The pub is called 'The Nobody Inn', by the way - I imagine there's more than one of those in the UK.

Pixie hates having her picture taken so I have to creep up on her from behind objects.

I hadn't noticed the book titles thing but I could make use of something like 'contemplating 12 across'. I may give it a go.