Friday, May 04, 2007

Diagonals

A little over a year ago I started selling images through an online stock photography site called Istockphoto. Although there’s little monetary reward, the egotistical input has been very satisfying with a total of over 1100 sales as of today. One concern I had about going down this route was that it would alter the way I take photographs and lead me to only look for images that had some commercial value. Although there is some truth in this, I can still persuade myself to take pictures purely for the pleasure of doing so. Most of the images I make in churches fall into this category as, with minor exceptions such as some of organ pipes that I’ve sold, ecclesiastical imagery is a non-starter.

So today’s offering. It was taken inside a church but is not overtly religious. The composition appealed to me but it is not, I would imagine, of commercial interest; with a figure in it, it might be but I didn’t have one handy. What I like about it are the strong diagonals, the mix of light and shade and the graduation of the sky tones in the window from white at the horizon to a deeper blue in the firmament above. All arty nonsense but without it the amount of pretentious claptrap floating around in the world would be so much the less.

4 comments:

shara said...

See, now that's exactly the kind of shot that would appeal to me, as well as the explanation. Also, I mean to comment on the story about the accidental/all-part-of-the-plan lighting story, it was very immediate and entertaining to read. I enjoy your writing so much.

Peter Bryenton said...

Very M.C. Escher, mon vieux.

Susan Lucente said...

That is very appealing to me as well. It is all the diagonals that do it for me...

Canbush said...

Thank you so much, Shara, I really appreciate it.

It just needs water, Peter

Thanks Susan, good to hear from you again - could be in for another theme to make a change from the threes, red, etc