Saturday, May 12, 2007

Lilac Bench

I selected this image, taken today in the small South Devon town of Totnes, for this evening's post and then a crisis arose; I discovered that I could think of nothing to say about it. Despite the unusual colour, the striking leaf pattern or the omnipresent diagonal, I was dumbstruck. What could I say about a lilac bench that would be both witty and erudite, two attributes which I would desperately like to introduce to the witterings portrayed here?


I really do not possess the expertise to talk at any length about street furniture. The seat appears modern in construction, probably late twentieth/early twenty-first century. The colour contrast between the bench and the wall would appear deliberate and just a little extravagant for a traditional English country town. Perhaps it's a nod towards the hippy culture that lingers on here, with barefooted men in skirts and didgeridoo-playing new-age travellers mixing with farmer's wives and posh totty. It's all a mystery and not a particularly interesting one at that.



Since a colourful bench hardly does this Devonian town justice, I've included another picture, taken at the top of the main street. Crossing the road is an example of what may be posh totty, albeit in a dressed-down mode; Pixie assures me that jeans are acceptable for this development of womanhood. If, on closer inspection, they turned out to be by Versace, or a similar vendor of female clothing, then we would have a positive ID; unfortunately I forgot to look.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean a big scarf in full sunshine wasn't enough of a give-away? I think you shouldn't doubt your obviously talented early warning system. It would have been easier if she'd been carrying an oversized stiff paper bag in her left hand, with string handles, emblazoned with some boutique she's just spent oodles on said pair of Versace jeans, when she could've found some 'Versache' ones on a dusty market stall in piles of 100 from China.

Canbush said...

You're absolutely right, Jonathan, I just wasn't sure if the scarf was enough on its own.

Pauline said...

I don't think you can help being witty. Fashion has never interested me as much as architecture - tell me more about the leaning, tightly squeezed pastel houses please...