Monday, July 16, 2007

Mildly Obsessive

My writing is going through a bit of a trough at the moment, picking its way amongst the detritus at the bottom of the pond and occasionally splashing its imagined wellies through a murky puddle. Not sure why this should be but it happens from time to time - I haven't the discipline to write to order nor the motivation.

It's not as if my every wakening hour is filled to the brim with substance. I potter about. In fact I'm almost an obsessive potterer. Perhaps I have compulsive pottering disorder. It's also not as if I'm without input. I've spent plenty of time over the past few weeks with those who provide me with inspiration. I'm sure it's just a switch somewhere that I accidentally flip off and, being the age I am, cannot always find again in order to remake the contact and re-energise my literary trickle.

So I'll skip to an image which neatly encapsulates a couple of visual obsessions - staircases and diagonals. The building is a former school in Barnstable, Massachusetts and, while Pixie was searching the store for bargains, I was snapping the stairs. The original image is almost monochrome so I've taken it a step closer.

3 comments:

Lee said...

Have you seen those displays where they record where the viewer's eyes travel while looking at a picture? Love to see it on this one - so much to explore but all roads seem to lead to the top of the stairs. Great in monochrome, too.

Pauline said...

You can feel the kids emotions on those stairs - funny how a building holds feelings - and the monochrome makes them seem even more apparent.

Funny, too, how clever you can be with words even when you think you don't have an urge to write...

Canbush said...

Thanks, Lee - those diagrams are fascinating.

Pauline - not sure about clever, more like verbal overflow I think!