Thursday, September 06, 2007

Narrow Vista


Vistas seen through openings - aren't they grand? This one is taken from inside the redundant church at Earl's Croome in Worcestershire. It's one of those locations that I return to on a regular basis, a drawing-to sort of place. Some people doubtless get up in the morning and think about going to work, nipping out to do a bit of shopping, maybe a dose of ironing, cleaning the car; I get up and think 'the light looks interesting, I'll go and find a church'.

So I do.

I've been assured that belief in a god is not necessarily a pre-requisite for a career in the clergy these days. So I thought I'd get in a bit of practice. There are lots of things that appeal - the element of performance and theatre, the dressing up, the sense of place, the reasonable working hours (I've always worked Sundays so that isn't a problem). Difficult to think of a downside, really, other than some of my flock might actually expect me to believe in something. And that would be a real drag.

5 comments:

Pauline said...

Love the sermonizing - "Let there be light" and there was, and shadows and vistas. Well done.

Lee said...

You DO believe in something! Cake, for example. There are the makings of a religion I could follow here...

(Impressed that all the verticals in the pulpit shot are, in fact, vertical.)

Peter Bryenton said...

"Is this a belief system I see before me?"

shara said...

I think if there was less arguing about beliefs and a lot more cake and photography, we'd all be better off. Let there be Dave, I say. I think my old dream of being a nun (and a saint, I was ambitious when I was younger) was mostly about the dressing up and looking beatific. That the the vow of silence.

Canbush said...

Thanks, Pauline.

The Cult of Cake? You're right. I could get behind that too.

And the verticals are care of Photoshop.

Yep, Peter.

Quite agree, Shara, although I'd be even bigger.