Friday, May 29, 2009

Almost Monochrome

I spend an excessive amount of my working life in enclosed, dark spaces; it's a bit like being a coal miner but without the physical labour and the danger. It is not a career choice for claustrophobics or for those who cannot find ways of amusing themselves during the long periods of time when everything is running smoothly and there are no knobs to be twiddled or lamps to bash.

Today I had my camera with me so that I could download some images I'd knocked off during a meal break. Sitting at the other end of the lighting box, my colleague, Craig, inadvertently presented me with a glowing bottle of orange, neatly back lit by a desk lamp and contrasted against a monochrome DVD image on his computer. Why it should grab my attention, I don't know but I can only say that after several hours of watching pictures of people playing poker, any diversion is welcome. I wound the ISO setting on the camera up to 3200 (I told you it was dark in there) and this was the result; it's a bit noisy/grainy but I like it. With these exquisite little pleasures, the long day passes.

1 comment:

Peter Bryenton said...

Well, at least you managed to avoid giving us pink and blue, Dave. Keep those neurons firing, mate.