Sunday, May 24, 2009

Far Eastern Semi-Solids

For many years I've had a fondness for what an old friend of mine called 'Far Eastern Semi-Solids'. By that he meant food from India, China, Thailand, etc. Unfortunately Thai and Chinese, as least as served in the UK, are not to my taste but Indian or Bangladeshi, that's the business.

I had my first curry, a chicken biriani, in a restaurant in London Road, Leicester. That was in 1970 so quite a few more have passed my lips and lined my stomach since then. Over the years I have developed a standard by which I judge all Indian restaurants. It consists of a chicken dhansak with pilau rice, a bombay aloo and a stuffed paratha. By these dishes I measure the desirability or not of a repeat visit.

This less than perfect picture (taken on my phone - you get some funny looks if you start photographing food in an Indian restaurant with an SLR camera) is of the offering at the Raj in Epping, Essex. It's probably my fifth visit. The same meal every time. Enough said.


That last sentence worries me a little because, as I've mentioned before, I'm paranoid about slipping into ruts, even fur-lined ones. It's bad enough that Pixie and I almost always have a home-cooked curry on a Monday. Reluctance to embrace change, particularly once you've entered the bus pass years, is the slippery slope to mental decrepitude.

So many people are reluctant to welcome something new. For me the ultimate shock/horror headline in my local paper would be one that read 'Local people welcome new town/wind farm/supermarket/red light district'. It doesn't matter what is proposed, the human instinct it to resist it. Occasionally this is the correct reponse but not always, or, I would argue, in general. Resistance to change is not the recipe for a secure future.

4 comments:

Peter Bryenton said...

Hell, Dave, this looks like road kill. Time to change your choice, mate. Sparkly assures me you'll get it if I say "It's a missive from Poppadum Preach!"

Canbush said...

Nope, over my head, Sparkly.

Pauline said...

but it's SO comforting! I resist chage too, meaning I have to bear it before I can enjoy it. No wonder we get along ;)

Peter Bryenton said...

Over mine too, Dave, but the neural pathways are burning in Sparkly's brain at near Bus pass rates these days. It was something along the lines of Pixie, Madonna and "Mama Don't Preach". Beats me.