Thursday, April 20, 2006

Clucking at the Green Door

I can't see the charm of chickens and I'm certainly not smitten with the sound of cockerels. I used to live next door to one and it drove me bananas; if I'd had access to a gun I'd have used it and to hell with the consequences. In the end we moved house before I could commit cockicide.

Whenever someone complains about the incessant noise of a crowing bird (and if you think they only do it at dawn, think again), some local comes up with the same tired old retort - if you don't like the sounds of the country, don't live there. No doubt that was a valid argument fifty years ago. That was before the greedy farmer telling us to pipe down sold off his land for development and allowed us townies to gain a foothold in his supposedly rural idyll. You can't have it both ways - farm the land, make noise (and smell), keep chickens - sell the land, make money, keep your mouth shut.

Incidentally there's usually a flock/herd/gaggle of chickens in my path as I cycle on my way to Pershore. They scatter in all directions as I approach. I'll get one of them some day.

3 comments:

snowsparkle said...

farm girl that i am, i can smell the straw and chicken duff. somehow the cock in the foreground reminds me it's time for bed soon.

shara said...

Cocks do have that effect, don't they? Pardon me, I couldn't resist the easy joke, didn't even try, actually.

What a lovely picture, though. And the story with it, bubbling over with anti-chicken sentiment, was such a nice counterpoint to the idyllic image.

Canbush said...

Many thanks for the comments - I do eat a lot of chicken so I can't be too condemning!