Thursday, April 27, 2006

Hotel in Black & White

Although I'm not a great fan of cities, there is something about the buildings in London that I find compelling. I came across this hotel in Langham Street when Pixie and I were searching for a cheap eatery a couple of weeks ago.

The front is covered in black and white tiles so it seemed only right to discard what little colour there was when producing the final image.

I like monochrome images but I would never subscribe to the school that sees them as more artistic or pure than coloured ones. I'm sure we only have black & white photography because the technology did not readily exist for colour back in the Victorian era.

There again, humans love to make a virtue out of necessity.

6 comments:

snowsparkle said...

"make a virtue out of necessity" nicely put! as a graphic designer, i admire an image that works as well in b/w as it does in color because that means the image isn't soley depending on razzle-dazzle color for it's power. your work is lovely in any color. :)

Susan Lucente said...

I really like this picture and the black and white was a good choice. While I also do not feel that b & w photography is more "artistic or pure than coloured ones." I do feel as snowsparkle put it. I've always felt that many times a picture is saved by the awesome color when maybe the content and composition are lacking. In a monochrome photo, you can't use flashy color to distract the viewer from the poor subjectmatter.

Of course, I've never seen that in any or your pictures. They're all wonderful. :-)

Canbush said...

Thank you both - I feel my head swelling!

I like the point about colour overriding content composition. I've never thought about that but it must happen. I shall start looking for examples.

Canbush said...

You're not wrong, Lee, we didn't find one, ending up in a not-quite-extortionate Italian.

Out in the East End, where I do a lot of work, I can still get a mug of tea for 60p and pie & mash for under £3 - not many tourists about though!

Jay said...

That's really great. Looks haunting.

Canbush said...

Thanks, Miss Jay. Probably a few spooks around but I didn't stay to find out.