Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Parker

Pixie and I returned from a stunning holiday in New England this morning, jammed unpleasantly into a packed British Airways Jumbo and suffering the transition from one time zone to another and one weather system to another - apparently it's done nothing but rain in the UK since we've been away and show no signs of stopping. Lovely.

Right, that's the whinge out the way.

Now I'm sure there is is plenty of mileage to be had over the next few weeks poking fun at the habits of our cousins across the pond as observed over the last fortnight and I'm not one to resist the temptation. However I'm starting with an enormous thank you to Pauline who took us in hand when we visited the Berkshires (pronounced in a way that no-one from Reading would understand but who cares?). She introduced us to Norman Rockwell, an American icon whose work is not so well known over here and who was a revelation. She also showed us some real New England hospitality and saved us from yet another diner and a surfeit of burgers. The Lonely Planet Guide has nothing on Pauline when it comes to local colour and I'm still carrying the image of a young girl and her friend riding the boxcars to the next town - I wish I could have done that.

We also met a Maine Coon. Not something I'd ever expected to do but life's full of surprises. His name is Parker and he likes hiding under bushes and is just the excuse I need to post yet another animal picture.

So here he is.

9 comments:

Pauline said...

Oh! Oh my! Isn't he a jungle cat! Cass will adore this photo! The visit was all my pleasure and I missed you and Pixie the moment you were out of view. I'm gad you enjoyed your stay in my version of the "Bark-shires" and hope you'll consent to return.

etcetera said...

What an amazing pic! Thanks for posting it, and don't you just love Pauline? As she's my mom, I'm pretty partial to her myself :) Wish I could have met you, but will hopefully get to do so next year when mom and I visit England!

Lee said...

Maine Coon, huh? Sheltered colonial that I am, I would have sat it was a cat. Sounds like a great trip though. Still unsure whether I will try to put the US on the agenda for next year. So many places...

shara said...

A whinge and a maine coon both in one post? So glad you're back. All my girls love cats, but my little ones especially are fond of maine coon cats though they've never seen one. They're just amazed by the thought of a cat that will swim.

hillychris said...

What a wonderful picture and so colourful!

Peter Bryenton said...

Welcome home, me old mate. Seen an old man & his family in a large, floating wooden menagerie lately?

Canbush said...

Hopeing to return, Pauline, sometime in the not too distant future and have got your visit with Cassie to look forward to.

He was quite well behaved, Cassie, although like most of my subjects, managed to stay out of focus for many of the pictures (or is that my fault?)

Worth the trip, Lee, and by the way, you are my next target for a visit - be warned!

Thanks, Shara - isn't a whinge fun?

Thanks for the comment, Hillychris, good to hear from you.

Ah, Peter, sorry to leave you with so much wetness. Had a few cloudbursts but nothing like the sustained misery of June in the UK this year.

Lee said...

Fine by me!

Flea said...

lee's the next target? Does that mean me too in Perth? C'mon!! Remember I said long ago you and hubby can talk camera and me and Pixie will go bag shopping ... see easy, all sorted already!