Monday, June 04, 2007

Pebbles with Added Glint

I thought that for a change we'd have a sniff of sea today. Now I realise that living in the centre of England does not leave me as coastally deprived as someone from Alice Springs, Regina or Des Moines but it's still far enough. And if you take into account Britain's overstretched motorway system, any journey to the briny is a major undertaking.

Work has taken me down to Devon twice in the last week and last time the sun came out. Obviously flags were flown to celebrate and I slipped off to the nearest beach to get a fix of waves and pebbles. The big wide 12mm lens is magic in these circumstances and with the high light levels in sunny Budleigh Salterton, the depth of focus seems to go on for ever. Just one word of warning - you need to move the camera pretty quickly if you don't fancy a salt-encrusted version. With my knees, that's always a gamble.

One of the reasons that the roads are so crowded is that seagulls have taken to using them. This is a problem that needs to be addressed urgently. Write to your MP today.

8 comments:

Susan Lucente said...

The top picture, pebbles and waves, is probably my favorite out of every picture I've seen you post. I want to just stare at it...lose myself in it. Beautiful, Dave, just beautiful.

Peter Bryenton said...

Worth printing large, dave.

Pauline said...

when I can close my astonished mouth I'll leave a comment...

Lee said...

Write to my MP?

How gullible do you think they are?

Oh.

Susan Lucente said...

Coming back to just stare in awe at it again.....

Peter nailed this one, print it out... and LARGE.

Canbush said...

Thank you so much. I must say I'm a bit overwhelmed by your collective reaction! You can't beat a shiny pebble and a crashing wave, though. It's a pity I can't give you the sound to go with it.

I shall do just that, Susan, once I get access to Peter's superb A3 printer.

Pauline, I hope it's closed by now!

If your's are like ours, Lee, you already know the answer.

Gargoyle said...

I am never at my best when coastally deprived. The farthest I have ever lived from the coast is 49km, and then I used to drive that distance in under 30 mins, probably 3 times a week... just to be there. I would find any excuse to see the sea, some times for only a few minutes.

Canbush said...

You're a very lucky man, Gargoyle. The nearest real coast to me is about 3 hours away on a good day