Monday, January 07, 2008

More Paganism


A day of mixed weather, rain, high winds and now, glorious winter sunlight. Just idling away some time this morning waiting for my colleague, Dave, to arrive so that we can set off together for the three hour drive down to east London for a planning meeting at 5 o'clock. We should have fun in the rush hour both arriving and leaving - oh, deep joy!

I've started the resolution-free new year as I mean to go on; still sneaking lumps of mature Cheddar cheese from the fridge when Pixie's not looking, spending far too long in cafes drinking coffee and reading the paper and wandering into old churches looking for images.

So to start with, the little church at Rous Lench whose door yesterday was, for once, open to the casual passer-by. I posted a picture of the medieval foliate head on the south entrance in
August last year. Inside this was refined (if that's the right word) in Victorian times to produce these table-leg motifs.


They obviously like their pagan iconography up in the Lench Hills.

5 comments:

Pauline said...

Is the light on or in the lion's head at the rear? And what do the carvings represent in pagan iconography?

Wish I could hang around in the wind and rain. I spend far too much time indoors.

Lee said...

So, you've resolved to be resolution free? Mmmm...

I think you should resolve to nicking cheddar, drinking coffee, reading newspapers and free-style ecclesiastical prowling in order to properly formalise the process.

Like Pauline, I was wondering of the source of light on the rear carving. It looks gilt but the front one doesn't. (?)

Kilroy_60 said...

It sounds like a good plan you have for the new year...sans resolutions.

Look forward to more great shots in '08.

If you could do me a favor...there's a typo in my link, so it comes up bad request

Do you ever do blog carnivals? I'm hosting a progressive dinner 30 January, so you can get in 5 posts. I hope you'll join in.

Canbush said...

The source of light, (says he when both of you will have forgotten the question by now) is the reflection of the sun off a red carpet just in front of the table. Just a little bit of serendipity.

Pauline - rebirth, I think. If you follow the link to the August post, it's probably hidden away there somewhere.

Canbush said...

Kilroy_60.

Sorry about the typo - I've fixed it.

Not very active at the moment but I'll catch up soon.