Wednesday, January 02, 2008

New Year


Happy New Year


Right, that's got that out of the way; no resolutions - there lies folly and delusion.

Some observations, which I may have dwelt upon in the past but for which I do not apologise.

Why do some men, often those of advancing years, wear a hat while driving a saloon car? Do they have some deep-rooted fear of suddenly losing the roof?

Why would anyone want to pay to wear clothes which proclaim the manufacturer's name on the outside, rather than discreetly hidden on a label inside?

Assuming (and this may be a big assumption) that you don't personalise your stove/vacuum cleaner/telephone/dvd player/tooth brush, why spend a fortune on giving your car a personal licence-plate that somehow reflects your name/job/sexual orientation/whatever?

Is life in Gloucestershire so dull and uninspiring that the local paper feels the need to publish a 16-page Nativity Play supplement? (Probably would be less grumpy about this if I had grand-children!)

As a humanist I'm obviously treading on dodgy ground posting supposedly Christian images but then my principles are fairly elastic. As far as I'm concerned you can believe what you like as long as you keep it to yourself. Not a position as yet embraced by those controlling organised religion but we can live in hope.

6 comments:

Lee said...

My experience is that anyone who wears a hat in a car is insecure. I used to limit that opinion to elderly men in brown cardigans but I've found the same applies to the yobbos with reversed baseball caps.

Personalised number plates are a sad area. I did often see a blonde driving around in a red sports car labelled 'TART', probably a tax deduction. And and old style Jaguar labelled 'FATCAT' but generally they are misspelt losers (DAVD46 and such like.) Saw a JOHN26 once and took him to be a similarly sad fellow, preceded by 26 others Johns, but he may also have been old school catholic.

Lee said...

Oh, yes. Happy New Year.

Canbush said...

Some dreadful so-called comedian in the UK has COM1C. It's just that I can think of so many more worthwhile things to spend spare money on (and not all of them involve spending it on myself!).

Back to the hats - I think it must involve some sort of cerebral cortex overheating which in the old causes the driver to average 22 miles/hour (sorry, Lee, too late at night to be bothered to convert that to km/h and surely going metric in Oz was a step too far in throwing off the colonial yoke) and to take all turns at an average of about 90 degrees every ten minutes. In the young everything's at the other extreme but perhaps that's because,as you observe, the hat is on the wrong way round. What a lethal combination an elderly gent with a bsck-to-front cloth cap would be.

Pauline said...

How can an elderly clothes-make-the-man gent doff his hat in the presence of a lady if he isn't wearing one (and I assume if he doesn't put it on before venturing forth, he'd forget it altogether)? Likewise, why subject a lady to lackluster locks when they can be hidden under a cloth cap? (See? When you're a member of the team at the center of the universe you can well afford to talk with your tongue well-jammed in your cheek.) As for backwards hats, the only logical explanation is the need to conceal the back of one's unwashed neck. Some enterprising woman should invent a double-billed cap...

With you in resolving to make no resolutions, and still living in hope!

Rosie said...

I used to travel around Brittany a lot doing shows in schools, and the roads were narrow. My heart used to sink to my boots when I found myself behind a car that was driven by anyone at all wearing a hat, but definitely the worst were men in berets. They were even slower than tractors...

Canbush said...

An admirable defence, Pauline.

Hi Rosie, thanks for the comment. A French tractor driver with a beret on would be the ultimate, I suppose (I came across a tractor driver conversing with a bereted individual in a 2CV at a junction in the Auvergne once and sat there for 5 minutes before they decided to clear the path).