Monday, January 28, 2008

Three Windows x 2


Warmth, and I want to say 'coolth'. But I can't - no such word. We have warm and warmth but not cool and coolth. Am I missing something here? Is this not the right combination?

We mess around with these comparative phrases, even when we have a full set to play with. Why do photographers say that focus is either sharp or soft, instead of hard or soft or, if you prefer, sharp or blunt?

Now you may be wondering what the devil I'm off on now. And well you might. So. It's to do with the colour of the light. The light seen through the north windows of Deerhurst church is a cold blue, a cool, uninviting hue. The light projected by the sun through the south windows is warm and friendly, positing the idea of a picnic under the shade of an old chestnut, bees buzzing, larks larking and the gentle murmur of a languid brook.

As it happens it was blowing a gale outside and there was a nasty touch of wind chill around the ungloved fingers. I've thought of getting some fingerless mittens but I'm not really that pushed. Suffering for my art, and all that.

It's an old building, containing a lot of Anglo-Saxon work dating back to 800 AD or so. Like many churches in this part of Gloucestershire, ancestors of mine have been baptised, married and buried there. The past is strong in me in these places but I'm not subservient to it. Too many people dwell in the past, carrying 'baggage' with them throughout their lives which would have been better abandoned in 'left luggage'. The past is your slave, not your master.

As is the telephone.


5 comments:

Lee said...

Nicely said - on all levels. (And just how is dearth related to dear?)

Pity not more people have figured out the proper place for the telephone in the chain of command.

Pauline said...

my mother was forever telling me I would get in trouble for preferring what she called fantasy, to reality. i wish I could have shown her this picture of the real, coolth truth set against the warm, reflected "fantasy" light. You've made my point so well!

Canbush said...

Thanks, Lee. I only answer phones if it's convenient and if I'm in the right mood - makes me difficult to get hold of at times but where does it say we must be instantly accessible.

I know those who would interupt a meal to answer the phone - duh!

Fantasy every time, Pauline.

shara said...

I'm exactly the same about phones, much to the dismay and downright irritation of some people but oh well. beautiful windows and light-windows, like text and subtext almost.

Canbush said...

I loathe the things, Shara - far too intrusive. The windows - love your description. I might have to steal it!