Sunday, February 17, 2008

Heavy Dapple

A week or so ago I talked about dingle, the bits of tree, branch or twig that cinematographers and photographers place in an image to form a frame, to lead the eye to a point of interest or just to break up an otherwise blank canvas - a swathe of blue sky for example.

Dingle has a mate in the break-up stakes. It's name is Dapple. I know that sounds like the name of a horse from a particularly soppy kid's story involving a wicked step-mother, a flaxen-haired girl and a street urchin from the wrong end of town, but I can assure you, it's also the name of a lighting technique.

In my business we create dapple by making suitable shapes in sheets of wood or metal and shining lights through them. Like most things in life, Nature can do it better although, as we know, not consistently and certainly not when you want it. In the image above, the plane trees in the town of Uzes in southern France have treated this building to what can only be described as the heavy version; Somewhere in this dense shade is a wall and three pairs of shutters.

And just out from the wall, a table, four chairs and some ice-cold lager.




4 comments:

Pauline said...

It always startles me how much we can accomplish in the way of feeling with a photograph or a few words. The icy pouring rain outside receded for a moment in the face of a sun-dappled wall.

Canbush said...

It's worth at least another log on the fire, if not more, Pauline. Intrinsic warmth.

Still a bit to go until Spring for you, I imagine.

Pauline said...

It's been pouring with rain for two days straight and at night the temperature drops below freezing so the yard and path and drive are coated in rumpled ice. I took a pratfall while hanging out the wash. My feet went up, my backside went down and I slid a ways before coming to a stop. Me and the clothespins scattered on the snow. I hope no one was watching!

Canbush said...

Hope you're OK, Pauline. Nasty stuff, ice, and it sounds like you get more than you need. I can only see your home in a warm, sunny way, I'm afraid, after our visit last year.