Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Party Time - Not

I'm not gregarious enough for parties, at least not for anything involving more than four people (and that's stretching it a bit). The thought of an evening spent surrounded by balloons fills me with gloom. Drinking warm, weak beer from a plastic glass is just one more facet of the devil's work. Anything vaguely edible on a stick or with a bone in it, needs to be cast to the winds. Life is just too short for enforced merriment. If hell exists, it will not be a place of fire and brimstone; it will be a flatly-lit room full of drunks talking about sport, their jobs, their kids or their neighbours. The food will be tepid and taste of cabbage.

I haven't been to any parties recently, thankfully. These thoughts were triggered by this image of balloons snagged on a barbed wire fence. The scene conjures to perfection my view of large scale jollity. Dull. Monotonous. Gloomy. I used to go to a lot of after-show shindigs where we joined the lovies and stood around telling each other how marvellous it all was. I was usually the first to leave; going home to Pixie was always going to be more entertaining.

If I'm at a party with Pixie - a very rare occurrence - I am made to behave myself. For a start I'm not allowed to indulge in my usual party activity which is to find a book or newspaper and retire to a dark corner (I have been known to take reading materials with me). If she catches me playing games on my PDA, I'm also in trouble. Nor am I allowed to eat too many cold sausages, pork pie segments or crisps. And I get told off if if I start talking her into leaving within 15 minutes of getting there. Also I'm expected to mingle. What an obscene activity that is! I'd rather hit my thumb repeatedly with a giant hammer.

Being antisocial is a real chore but it's worth striving for. Eventually you stop being invited to anything.

Now that is worth blowing a balloon up for.

(Oddly enough I'll talk to anyone I don't know it it's one-to-one; always up for a chat with the postman, girl on the checkout, bloke in the street. It's the group thing I can't cope with. No doubt there's a word for it in the psychological lexicon).

6 comments:

Pauline said...

Sure - it's enochlophobia. Cassie and I have suffered from it all our lives. We're both solitary creatures though Cass is more socially adept than I. Meet you in the corner with my book.

Canbush said...

Thanks, Pauline, I'll be there (as long as it doesn't constitute a party)

Lee said...

Thank you Pauline; blogging my way to an education! If we get enough of us in the corner, we could start a discussion group. BYO crisps.

Parties are usually dreary affair, though sometimes you meet someone who 'clicks'. Not often enough to make me look forward to a party. Worse for me is when Margaret decides we should have people around. Love dinner groups up to about 8 people (though that invariable splits into two conversation groups) as I enjoy the theatre of the meal as well as the company. But bigger 'do's are misery for me. And I can't leave early.

I will be in Worcester for 4 nights from May 29th (Peter B recommended a B&B) and hope to catch up with you.

Susan Lucente said...

While I generally am not what one would call "anti-social", what you are describing is very much my current attitude. If given the choice between a party and a nice good nap... I'm sleepin. :)

Synchronicity said...

wow...i am exactly the same way. i have invented so many whoppers of excuses to get out of party going. thank goodness for blogging...this is where and introvert can mingle safely.

Canbush said...

Can't beat a good nap, Susan and I imagine you deserve it at the moment.

Thanks, Merelyme, you are not alone!