Thursday, February 07, 2008

Prostrating

Image-making on hallowed ground again, as sure a sign of winter as the absence of swallows or the arrival of Easter eggs in the shops before Christmas. I am driven into the only public spaces with photographic potential on a cold day.

Prostrating myself in front of altars has not formed part of my plan-for-life but there's a first time for every thing. The carpet was nice and clean and I needed a direct view of the subject rather than relying on balancing the camera upside down on my foot on the end of a monopod.

For ecclesiastiophiles, the church is St Laurence, Ludlow, Shropshire, essentially Norman with Victorian restoration. It is another of the great English parish churches built off the backs of sheep.

And now, strangely, I can think of nothing controversial to say, or, for that matter, do, unless starting a sentence with the word 'and' counts. But, (which is a word regarded with similar malevolence by the sentence police as 'and' when it comes to opening up a fresh line), I should try to think of something.

Thinking.

No, peace and contentment.

Have a nice day.

(And don't get me started on 'nice'. My English teacher, Miss Hurst, exhorted us to find an alternative in all circumstances. 'Nice' had no place in her version of the language of Middle England.

And she was right. It's a nasty word, redolent in laziness of tongue. Put it away, boy.

And see me after school).

3 comments:

Pauline said...

laughing - what a "nice" post

no really, what a shot! All those - who are those guys? - and the window panes and the light. Pure loveliness.

Lee said...

Lovely building.

Miss Hurst: not nice.

shara said...

definitely laughing. peace and contentment is a good thing (good + nice?) and I'm glad you've got it. the muse is back? is this the one burning with purpose and sunset colours or the pale grey one beckoning from behind the hedge, and where did that come from I wonder. that's the danger of reading and not making notes, but who could make enough notes not to have someone else's phrases come into mind at times without a name attached to them?