Monday, August 13, 2007

Diagonals with Added Circles

I’m beginning to think that diagonals are a bit passé so, for today’s image, I thought I’d mix in some circles. This detail shot comes from the canopy of Knaresborough Station in Yorkshire. It is one of the survivals on the British railway network from an age when embellishment was everything. Unlike so many railway buildings this one has been allowed to pursue its remaining years with dignity; others include Great Malvern, Kemble Junction and Hellifield.

I think I give the impression that I’m against modern building but that is far from the truth. There is much to admire; I just wish I could think of somewhere off the top of my head…………..

OK, I give up. Maybe there’s not much but there must be something; perhaps modern architecture is not as memorable as the old stalwarts. I’ll make it my mission to find something 21st century that I like and knock off a piccie or two for your edification.

Pixie is a very elusive subject and I have to sneak up on her when she isn’t looking. This is one of my favourite photographs of her. I’ve dropped it in today because I haven’t seen her for nine days and that leaves a big hole in my life. Also I’m a sucker for women wearing glasses.


4 comments:

Pauline said...

Oh! That sudden glimpse of Pixie and your words make me miss you both! I have been in Oregon for a week and have another ten days to go but I just read your piece above about coming home and though I am having a marvelous time here, I can't wait for home either!

Canbush said...

There's nothing like it, is there, Pauline. And yours is, well, just lovely and homely. We're contemplating another visit to New England in the not too distant future but will need to make sure it doesn't clash with yours to the UK. In the future I think we'd concentrate in Northern Maine, Vermont and perhaps the Adirondacks, with a trip to Sheffield, obviously.

Flea said...

Lovely pic of pixie!

Canbush said...

Thanks, Hann. She says it makes her look prim!