Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Promise of Home

Last day. Hotel room vacated, nothing left behind, bill settled, dull, driving rain, flooding at Hackney Wick, road chaos, A12 jammed solid. The promise of an early finish; rarely fulfilled. Demob happy. A parting of friends.

Always pleased to be heading for home. About now I start to see it in my mind – sweeping round the M25 at 75 mph, cruise engaged, looping on to the M40, coffee stop at Oxford around midnight, out into the country, Burford, the deserted uplands of the Cotswolds, new moon, scudding clouds, deep darkness. Dropping through the S-bends of Fish Hill into the Vale. Home, the tedium and frustration of the last ten days dropping away, reunited with my soul mate.

I love driving at night. I like the desertion and the solitude. I never have the radio on. Or the mobile. Cocooned, the world damped by the purr of the diesel and the modulating road noise. Three hours of uninterrupted thinking. Man and machine at one, the ultimate cliché.

Barring mishaps.


4 comments:

Lee said...

Mishaps are definitely barred. I seldom have any noise on in the car. Sometimes if I want to stay awake after night work I will have a psych podcast on (I have an FM transmitter gizmo that plugs into my son's iPod and is picked up by the car's radio.) But generally, I'm with you, driving is thinking time.

PS: Have you managed to get the wedding cancelled or relocated?

Canbush said...

The wedding is back in limbo - still next year and could be March, May or October. It's shifted venue back to Lord Howe.

Lee said...

OK. So there is still a chance to catch up with you when I am in the UK May-June next year. Push for late October...

Canbush said...

There is, and I'll give it a fatherly push in the direction of autumn/spring - pleasant time of year and we've not been to Australia then - so far done December, April and May x 2.