Monday, December 05, 2005

Coffee


I've already written about my coffee addiction. I'm pleasantly surprised by how much better the British are getting at producing a decent brew. Even some of the big chains like Costa can come up with something presentable, to my taste buds, at least. The restaurants in John Lewis and Waitrose stores are consistently superior to more run-of-the mill establishments. However small independents can usually better them - locally that would be the 'Pastry Case' in Pershore, 'Pepper & Oz' in Malvern and an unpretentious little cafe in Ludlow that I can't remember the name of (I was PDA-less that day).

The standard is still set abroad. I began my quest in the 1980s after a visit to a small patisserie in Chateau Gontier in France. The peak so far has been achieved by Cafe Creme in Woollahra, Sydney which uses Toby's Estate Coffee. At home I'm into Taylor's of Harrogate's Christmas Blend, purchased from Capers in Pershore.


This advertising feature brought to you by the Canbush Blog

2 comments:

Peter Bryenton said...

Java powered blog?
B.

Canbush said...

Very droll, Peter. I ken ya know something of coffee.