Friday, December 23, 2005

Yet Another Sunset

I was very interested in what Peter had to say yesterday about categorising photographs with reference to Michael Reichmann's web site.

As there was a pleasant looking sunset in the offing this evening, I decided to saunter down Broadway Lane to the water meadows and see what I could fit in the frame. In order to make this as difficult as possible, I took a narrow lens rather than a wide and wore the wrong type of shoes.


This is the image that most appealed to me but where does it fall in Michael's system. Is it a snapshot, a postcard or an image? The criteria he bases his judgement on is whether it has emotional content, something to get your heart racing. That is difficult to call as I think it depends so much on the viewer. When we listen to music our reaction is in many ways culturally defined, it's what we were brought up to enjoy (how else can you explain the cult of Elvis Presley) and I'm sure that an element of that is present when we look at pictures. One person's snapshot is another person's image. (I apologise for the PC use of the word 'person' - I won't do it again).

Stiil that's all very serious - what really matters is that I enjoyed taking the photographs despite having muddy feet.

No comments: