Friday, May 05, 2006

The Curse of Summer

There have been two days of unseasonably warm weather here in southern England. Apparently it’s been warmer than in the south of France, Spain and North Africa. Well, bully for us! Hopefully it will break tomorrow and we'll be back to rain and icy winds - it is spring, after all.

Now some of you may be wondering (or not - as if I care), why I should be so reluctant to embrace a period of sunshine and warmth. The answer is simple - my neighbour owns a barbecue. Admittedly he’s not yet removed it from whatever hellhole he winters it in. But he will – I can feel it in my water.

What is it about the human race and barbecues? Why, given that the vast majority of people in the developed world own some sort of stove, do they insist on cooking outside as soon as the temperature gets anywhere above freezing? They have doubtless installed their stove in a kitchen. They may have even fitted it up with an extractor fan and bought themselves a selection of suitable cooking utensils and appliances. Perhaps the walls are tiled in tasteful representations of common vegetables and spices. Strings of garlic and onions droop down from false oak beams. A pair of blue-striped aprons ,marked His and Hers hang from a rustic hook on the back of a cupboard door.

So why, then, do they abandon these paradises of the culinary arts to go outside and cook (I use the word loosely) on a device whose sole purpose is to simultaneously cremate and undercook perfectly good sausages?

Barbecues smoke, they smell and their presence encourages loud, unpleasant, drunken people to stand around for hours – they have no choice because barbecued food needs to be cooked for about a fortnight before being even barely edible. These starving masses take their minds off the gastronomic gut bashing to come by talking about golf, football, cars, that miserable so-and-so next door (yes, I heard!) or any of the other inanities that the undernourished brain dwells upon.

Barbecues are the curse of civilisation, as we know it. There is no such thing as a good barbecue, even, Lee, in Australia, the spiritual home of the barbie. They should be broken up, melted down and refashioned to emerge, reborn, as garlic presses, zesters, those little things for making melon balls, or something even more useless, just anything but outdoor incinerators.

Now I think I’ll go and set the oven to 175 degrees Centigrade, pop in a beef and stilton pie and rest easy in the knowledge that, in twenty-five minutes time, it will be perfectly cooked. Time to nip out into the garden with a cold beer so that I can smell the scents of nature wafting on the breeze and listen to the birds sing.

While I still can.

Thinking of nature and redundant metal objects, here's a blue flower and a piece of rusting railway track.

10 comments:

Susan Lucente said...

You've never had good ole BBQ ribs the way we make 'em here in the states have ya? Tender, juicy, fallin off the bone, heaven in your mouth good... and sweet corn on the cob grilled... yummmmmy. I'd send you some but I think that by the time it made it's journey across the pond to you, my argument would not be very convincing. :-( If your neighbor is cremating his food, he isn't doing it right.

On a more serious note, one of the best reasons to outdoor grill is so that you don't have to use your gas/electric to heat up your stove which in turn heats up your house and makes you need to turn your air conditioning on. With the HUGE energy prices right now (our gas bill just for last month's heat was over $1,000.00--yep one thousand dollars) we are dreading what the air conditioning will do to our electric bill in a month or so... we'll be grilling out a lot I think. :-(

Peter Bryenton said...

Ouch. Over six hundred quid for one month? Jane and I just wear lots of extra clothes in our cold house.

Anyway, you've got the job as chef, as far as I'm concerned.

Susan Lucente said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Susan Lucente said...

Yep Peter, for just one month, that would be over six hundred quid... more like two hundred lady godivas, one hundred pavarottis, ten long'uns or a grubby hand. ;-)

That's what we get for moving into an old house that's four times bigger than our old one. We welcome the warm spring weather so we've been able to turn the damn heat off. It'll take us all summer to pay off the gas bills from this winter. Desperately wishing something would change in the situation in Iraq so our oil prices could go back down (at least that's the lame excuse the oil companies are giving us for why our prices are so outrageous).

You probably don't want to appoint me as chef of the party, unless "Sam and Ella" are invited as well. It's the general consensus in my house that my cooking sucks. I keep thinking if it's that bad, why doesn't somebody else do it? Not working though, must try harder... ;-)

Canbush said...

It's a lovely thought, Susan, but you've picked foods that I can't be bothered to eat anyway - ribs (my teeth aren't good enough and my fingers would get sticky) and corn-on-the-cob (I can't see the point of sweetcorn). Being fussy is an art form - no unfilleted fish, no boney chicken, the list is endless. Where would life be if we weren't quirky?

Air conditioning - not big in domestic premises in the uk although it's on its way.

I tell my wife to wear thicker woollens around the house in the winter - strangely enough this advice is not always warmly received.

Joking aside, I don't know what I've got against barbecues, even good ones. My wife's the same - if we're invited to one we'll find an excuse not to go.

Susan Lucente said...

Well Dave, to each his own huh? Don't know how I'd survive without central air conditioning in the hot summer months here... as they say, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity"... and they are right! ugh.

We're going to a cookout with friends tonight, I'll be sure to think of you when I'm munching on my grilled steak. :-)

Canbush said...

You have a good time - I'll enjoy my perfectly grilled sausages (hopefully!).

BY the way it's cold and damp out now - British weather.

snowsparkle said...

dave, you need a 5 year old nephew with a tobbogan and some snow, that would solve your barbeque problem in short order. (see my post) and by the way... your friend should give you a large portion of the barbequed fare in apology for his disturbances.

Susan Lucente said...

Well Dave, I had my grilled steak... it was, to be honest, slightly undercooked. I believe in the host's effort to keep from cremating it, he neglected to make sure it was even dead... I took a bite and it "moo'd". :-(

How was your grilled sausage?

Canbush said...

Ah Ha!

The sausages were perfect