Monday, May 08, 2006

Vertical View


Peter mentioned the other day, in a comment to one of my previous posts, that I have a liking for the vertical/portrait format. This is true and, in a particularly obtuse way, I'm most fond of it when photographing horizontal/landscape subjects.

You could easily argue that the format in today's image was dictated by the strong vertical framing of the tree trunks and I wouldn't disagree with that. However (what a brilliant word that is) even without the trees, the chances are I'd have been dangling the camera from my supersized hand rather than gripping it crossways.

There is something about the concentration of sky, distance and foreground that I find mesmerically satifying once all that tedious repitition off to the sides of the image has been dispensed with. After all, you just need a few trees in the middle distance and just the odd mountain - not a giant swathe of them marching across your picture from one side to the other.

Perhaps my stereo vision is ninety degrees out of kilter. I must have it checked.

2 comments:

Susan Lucente said...

I could not agree with you more Dave. I am the same way. I think 90% of all the pictures I take are verticals. Something about it just seems more natural and more appealing to my eye than the horizontals. Yep, even without those trees perfectly framing this picture, I would've done it vertical too. Beautiful!

Peter Bryenton said...

Very painterly. Straight up, guv.