Sunday, May 14, 2006

Scrumptiousness

In my continuing efforts to introduce the world to the delights of English pub food, I present:

Steak & Kidney Suet Pudding

Now I know what you're thinking; that doesn't look very appetising. Where's the veg? Why are there so many sautéed potatoes? Shouldn't there be mash and gravy?

So to some answers.

It looks much more edible once you've cut into the gorgeous suet surround and allowed the steak and kidney pieces in their rich thick sauce to ooze out lovingly onto the pristine inviting surface of the plate - I didn't photograph that bit because by then I'd got my hands full of eating irons.

There are no vegetables because the choice was:

Cabbage - makes me retch
Carrots - take it or leave it, no substitute for potato
Cauliflower - see cabbage above

There are a lot of sauté potatoes because this pub, the Baker's Arms at Broad Campden in Gloucestershire, is very generous with the portions and that is an exceptionally good thing.

Lastly, sauté potatoes are an acceptable substitute for chips/fries and there are times when you can have just too much mash.

So there you have it. There were four of us. We each had a different main course.. There were no complaints. I drank Timothy Taylor's Landlord Ale, a northern brew a bit off its patch but well kept and presented. Henry drank some lethal cider beverage called Thatcher's - he was still standing later - I'm not sure if that's a good or bad sign.

13 comments:

Susan Lucente said...

If that is considered normal fare in the UK, I have a feeling I would come home a few pounds lighter and very very hungry if I were to vacation there.

;-)

Anonymous said...

Pub lunches are some of my fondest memories of visiting England a few years ago! The absolute best were the Cornish pasties but close on second was was a bowl made of Yorkshire pudding, filled with sausage and mashed potatoes swimming in rich, brown gravy. Then there was the lamb with mint sauce, and oh, yes, the paper-wrapped fish and chips...

Peter Bryenton said...

Stake & kidney suet puddings were a staple in cafes and fish and chip shops when I were a lad in Lanacashire in the 50s & 60s. Scrumptious!

snowsparkle said...

I like the echoes of golds and purples in the image... as to the organ meat... i will have to take your word for it on the scrumptionness of this dish... i might be brave enough to sample it but i'd probably never wish a complete meal of this.

Canbush said...

Honestly, Susan, it's not as bad as it looks!

Hi Pauline. It sounds like you've sampled the very best - it made my mouth water just reading your list.

Aye, Peter, you knew how to live tup north.

Snowsparkle - it would look better dressed up with a bit of garnish. I must admit even I find it a bit heavy!

Anonymous said...

I remember going out with Peter's Sparkly Jane to the market. She turned to me and said, "Let's have cauliflower cheese and bacon joint for dinner, shall we?" I had no clue what sort of cheese was named after a cauliflower or that bacon pieces had joints. Dinner? It turned out to be ham with cauliflower smothered in cheese sauce - very American!

Canbush said...

Excellent (apart from the cauliflower)

Neoma said...

ISN'T going to happen in my lifetime. haha I had a kidney removed at my age of 16 because it died. The kidney is a blood filtering organ, I figure if the cow is sick in any way, that kidney is going to be a bit toxic, I don't eat kidney, liver, or any other blood filtering organs......

Princess Tikka Masala said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Canbush said...

I think you're very wise, unlike me. There were only very small amounts of kidney but I don't suppose that would make a difference.

Liver - a firm thumbs-down.

Josephine said...

*Long, disappointed sigh*

God, there is just no chance I'll ever be a gourmande!

I can't even stomach the taste of vinegar...

Lillie said...

"It looks much more edible once you've cut into the gorgeous suet surround and allowed the steak and kidney pieces in their rich thick sauce to ooze out lovingly onto the pristine inviting surface of the plate."
The most adoring sentence to a plate of food I've ever read!

Canbush said...

Thank you. Lillie, for your lovely comment. If you'd seen me, you'd know that I'm fond of food!

Josephine, I'm not a fan of vinegar either.