Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Posh Tea

I'm a great fan of tea and cake and I've the waistline to prove it. Sometimes it can be a simple repaste, a pot of the amber nectar with a scone and jam, a toasted teacake or a hot buttered crumpet. On other occasions it can resemble a feast where caution is thrown to the wind and the tea comes in leaf form rather than the more prosaic bags - I always forget to use the strainer.

Some very posh hotels fleece the tourists with their afternoon teas, places like The Raffles Hotel in Singapore, the Empress in Victoria or, as in today's picture, the Chateau at Lake Louise, British Columbia.

They're a rip-off but someone has to play their game or else common sense and reasonableness will gain the upper hand. For that reason alone, and nothing at all to do with cake, I've suffered on your behalf.

4 comments:

Susan Lucente said...

I'm getting hungry... don't know why..

snowsparkle said...

me too! had a small salad for lunch and some yogurt. the only tea i've been to is Lovejoy's Tea Room in San Francisco. the small sandwiches and scones were what i loved most. it's a tiny place, elegant but comfortable at the same time.

Canbush said...

My wife says my life revolves around food - I've no idea where she gets that from!

I've made a note of Lovejoy's - it sounds like our sort of place. All we've got to do now is get to San Francisco.

Canbush said...

Sorry, Lee, I won't do it again (this week!)