Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Broad Sweep

It's a while since I posted a wide image, a broad sweep of landscape. I felt the urge this evening. I feel I'm suffering from a surfeit of detail.

I avoid committees. I think it would be fair to say that nothing useful is ever achieved when a group of people get together to decide something. Every member has a point of view, an axe to grind, a corner to defend, self-interest to satisfy. Compromise is inevitable and the outcome always something less than it might have been. In my (not very humble) opinion, decision making should be a solitary activity - one person's vision. By all means consult - no-one knows everything. But do it one-to-one - question, discuss, listen - then decide - alone.

Now this isn't advice from some lifestyle guru I've been reading; I don't go for that sort of egotistical word vomit. This outpouring was triggered by my attendance at a meeting where everything was discussed in minute detail, every nit picked. There was no grand vision, no golden path, and no march towards the sunny uplands.

And tea. No committee can meet without tea.

So it was not all bad.

7 comments:

shara said...

"To get something done a committee should consist of no more than three people, two of whom are absent."

- Robert Copeland

Having been on several committees and boards in my life, I heartily agree with your comments, Dave. Tea does help, though. I also find earplugs invaluable.

Susan Lucente said...

All in favor say "Aye".... or is it "I"? Either way, you've got my vote, Dave. :-)

What a gorgeous landscape!

snowsparkle said...

I'm going to go out on a ledge and ask: were these all men in the committee? not that nit picking is reserved for the pursuits of men, but i work with a bunch of engineers and they will argue til the cows come home about infinitesimal details and meanwhile the water pipe is leaking and the customers have no water. all ego-based organizations are doomed to tread the path of arrogance and inefficiency.

Peter Bryenton said...

I'm right there with you on the Benign Autocrat approach, Dave.

Snowsparkle: good point. I wish the ego would go.

Josephine said...

I like this broad, sweeping landscape. It gives a sense of peace.

Canbush said...

Thanks, Bluesmama, if only they'd abide by that dictum. This particular committee was of four - I absented myself after the first half-hour.

Thanks, Susan. It's about twenty mile east of where I live.

Although I would agree with your supposition, Snowsparkle (and that's committee speak if ever I heard it), I'm afraid there were two women present - they weren't the culprits, however.

Peter, just you and me then?

Thanks, Josephine. I felt that as I stood there - serenity in a view.

Kilroy_60 said...

I'm left wondering what is happening at the farthest point you can see in this photogragh. Is there someone looking back...drinking a bit of tea, perhaps, and contemplating the ways of the world.

Fear And Loathing - The Gonzo Papers