Wednesday, August 09, 2006

White Van

I try to complete all journeys of up to ten miles by bicycle, whatever the time of year. It's the only way I can convince my body and my mind that I really need to eat so much food. Obviously if I've got to collect something a bit unwieldy, like a grand piano or a barrel of beer, I use alternative transport.

I cycled extensively in my thirties but lost the will when I had to spend the best part of a winter in London - I was beset by traffic, snow and excess chocolate. I came home several stone heavier and a lot less enthusiastic about pounding the pedals.

I took it back up in my early fifties, in the hopes of staving off the inevitable decline into decrepitude. It's been reasonably successful although I'm out of the saddle at the moment with a defunct left knee. It's frustrating to be car-bound, as well as expensive.

The photograph is one I took last winter as I cycled into Pershore and narrowly avoided the back end of this white van. It's part of the 'Splash of Red' series which I might have contributed to if I'd not braked in time.

4 comments:

Pauline said...

You look a bit stern in that picture, like a policeman taking an obligatory scene-of-the-crime photo. I chuckled over your excess chocolate and "splash of red" comments.

I've taken up cycling, too, but my bicycle is the old fashioned balloon tire, one speed, double-cheek-seat type. I often ride to work (two of my jobs are within a mile in either direction of my cottage). I'm up to an eight-mile round trip on some days, cycling to and from both jobs and then taking an additional four mile evening ride, and for the same reason - if I eat, I MUST cycle. it's tough, this "decline toward decrepitude."

snowsparkle said...

whoa! love the photo! i've always admired those who can ride a bicycle with no hands, but you can even use a camera!!!! i'm impressed. i had a left knee problem as well and had to take a hiatus. i was so happy when i was able to ride again... hope you are back in the saddle soon.

Josephine said...

A good philosophy. I run partly for the same reasons...so I can eat whatever I want.

About that left knee...that's a bummer. What happened to it?

Canbush said...

That sounds like hard work, Pauline. I have the luxury of 27 gears although I've never used them all.

It would not be the first time I've been mistaken for a policeman. Years ago I went with a mate to a pub which was noted for its laxity with regard to the licensing laws. We were hoping for a bit of late night drinking but they closed dead on time. I later dicovered it was all my fault - they thought I was a copper.

Thanks, Snowsparkle. I miss it although it's only been a week - exercise is very good for endorphin production, I believe, so I'll be going cold turkey at the moment.

Hi Josephine. I'm not sure what the matter is at the moment. A chap who came to fit a carpet for us on Monday diagnosed it as a cartilage problem but I may get a second opinion from a doctor! Seems a bit easier tonight, though, so fingers crossed.

I'm a typical male, only visiting the surgery under duress.