Monday, August 14, 2006

Teapots & Thatch

The British are well known for their love of tea – it’s one of the things that keep us toddling along our merry course through life.

To get the full, unrestrained flavour of this restorative substance, it should be brewed from leaves that are unfettered by the confines of a perforated bag, and in a teapot, not directly in the cup.

The picture above is a little deceiving as, despite the eccentricity for which our island race is renowned, it is not normal practice to keep the teapot on a shelf outdoors, nor is it necessary to possess more than one of them (unless, of course, you keep one for best).

Tea can be served at any time of day and many people cannot start their quotidian routines without a cup; personally I prefer coffee with breakfast as I feel that it is more efficient in burning a path through the detritus of the night.

Obviously tea is forever associated with tea-time when the British drink copious quantities of the brew, accompanied by scones, jam and clotted cream or toasted tea-cakes; posh people may have cucumber sandwiches. Very posh people may shoot something to put on toast or send out to Harrods or Fortnum & Mason's for a suitable relish.

Tea also goes well with the sort of food eaten by the rude mechanicals, like sausage, egg and chips; here it is usually served in large vessels called mugs and imbued with copious quantities of sugar. There are few taste sensations more meritorious than a bacon sarnie and a mug of sweet builder's tea.

It is possible to find tea while out walking the hills around the area where I live - here the passer-by on a long-distance footpath is directed towards a farmhouse serving the amber nectar and other, inferior beverages.

I quite fancy a brew now myself but as it's after midnight, I can't risk the nocturnal side effects - which is a shame.


7 comments:

Pauline said...

Ah tea! That first, hot, sweet sip...

Am indulging in one last cup before I turn in. Off tomorrow for an extended visit to the West Coast. It will be days before I have another good cuppa. I will remember this post while I'm sloshing my feet in the great Pacific and wishing, I know, for a mug.

Susan Lucente said...

All the teapots lined up on the shelves, what an adorable picture! (Careful, getting a bit twee there aren't you?) ;-) Was that a private home or maybe a country tea house? I can imagine a person of smiling light-hearted character living in such a place. Very nice picture.

Peter Bryenton said...

After reading the blurb on a pack of tea bags claiming to use unbleached paper, I started to ponder how many residual chemicals I had unwittingly consumed over the years while using standard sachets.

I wonder if this cottage's internal kitchen shelves bear gardening implements?

shara said...

I loved the pictures and the post. Made me smile, and smiles aren't easy to come by this morning, it's a beige day. Maybe I just need some sweet builder's tea and a bacon sarnie, whatever a sarnie might be - a sandwich? - oh well, who cares, if it has bacon, it'll be fine.

Josephine said...

absolutely delightful!

Canbush said...

Have a great trip, Pauline, look forward from hearing from you when you get back.

Drifting into twee, Susan, can't help it. It was a cafe near a town called Tiverton in Devon, a place noted for cream teas.

Interesting thought, Peter. I didn't go inside so I can't report back.

Oh, no, Bluesmama, not the beige. Thankfully I arrived in time to add a smile (and a sarnie is a sandwich).

Thanks, Josephine, top knotch.

Kilroy_60 said...

Your record remains perfect. Everytime I visit there's great stuff!

This photo, in its simplicity, is striking.

I'm interested in you visiting for a look...see what you think of the photos I've posted.

I have, unfortunately, lost my original site in what appears to be an inescapable Blogger Archive Hell. Would you update my link when you get a chance...

Fear And Loathing - The Gonzo Papers

I'll be looking forward to hear from you.