Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Pair of Poppies

Yesterday Susan accused me of veering of into 'Tweeland' again so I thought, why not, go for it.

This year has been my 'Year of the Poppy'. I went to France in May just as they were coming into season and took countless photographs of them in swathes, groups, threes, twos and singles. If anything should have cured my 'Splash of Red' obsession it was that. But it didn't.

This pair were photographed 'contre-jour' a few weeks later as Peter and I were walking down to his local, the Swan at Birlingham. I tried to resist but it was to no avail. It was the light, the light, I must stay away from the light!

The world does not need any more poppy images. Enough is enough!

8 comments:

snowsparkle said...

peter, beautiful beautiful poppies (i didn't know they had them in france... thought they were a california native thing) but as far as i'm concerned, you can post as many splashes of red as you like.

all shades of red attract me. in fact, yesterday i woke up and knew i had to wear red... somedays just call for red. (today i'm in basic black- the guitarist is coming for dinner)

Susan Lucente said...

Dave, I don't think poppies should really count as "twee". Most flowers are exempt from that status, except for drawings of daisies with smiley faces on them, and babies breath and pansies-- simply because of their names. You're safe with poppies, I'm pretty sure of that. :-)

Peter Bryenton said...

A synchronicitous pair today, obviously. Perhaps we should buy lottery tickets.

Very fine lighting it was too.

Flea said...

They are truly beautifull, is that the true colour? How bright and cheerful!

Josephine said...

I feel as though I could hop aboard one and sail down the slope of its silken petal.

Also, it looks more like very dark, vibrant orange than red?

Canbush said...

Snowsparkle - you can't beat a drop of black - might try that as a theme; hope you had a great evening!

Susan, OK, if you say so.

Thanks, Peter, nothing beats a strong kick

Hannelie & Josephine - they do look a bit orange, don't they, but it was a very warm light from the sun. In the cold light of day, I imagine they were more poppy in colour.

Kilroy_60 said...

Photographing flowers can easily become...addictive in a way. One can be shot in so many different ways. This is a nice shot.

Anonymous said...

The world needs every poppy image it can get! Thank you, that one is gorgeous. I love how the poppies seem to melt into each other.