Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A Howard & Hilda Moment

Howard and Hilda were a middle-aged couple in a British sit-com called 'Ever Decreasing Circles'. They come to mind whenever I see couples in matching sweaters, rainwear, hats or, in this case, bicycles. These couples never seem to argue and where's the fun in that?

The even numbers are striking back with a vengeance in this image - bikes, wheels, red headgear. I feel the need for a three.

I've heard there are still three-seater privies (dunnys to you, Lee) mouldering away in Cotswold back gardens, albeit disused - it must have been an interesting communal experience. This trio of butt supports are attached to an agricultural implement used for setting out plants in furrows. Doesn’t look like a comfortable way to spend the working day but no doubt the occupants could enjoy a good gossip.

I managed to hang onto my own personal chair for years when I worked for the Beeb* - had it refurbished twice. It’s those petty triumphs that make being employed worthwhile. It’s not the same when you’re freelance and you have to buy your own.

*British Broadcasting Corporation

9 comments:

shara said...

Privy council, that's a good one. Who knew toilets could be so fascinating?

Canbush said...

We were bound to reach this level eventually - it was only a matter of time

shara said...

I didn't even register the beautiful array of colours in that tractor seat photo until I looked at it this morning. Isn't it strange how you just see what you're looking for, or attuned to at the moment.

shara said...

Please don't call me BM, it sounds like you're continuing the toilet joke. Silly Blogger, wouldn't let me have bluesmama as one word.

Hmm.. maybe it's time to change it, anyway. I miss my own name.

Helene said...

I have always been intrigued with the idea of urinals as well... men in a line whipping out their private parts... peeing (I would totally have stage fright)with people they dont know of WORSE... what if you do know them....

I think men grow up more open than women that way. I know that mens gyms often have group shower facilities... most womens do not. It could be a cultural thing. I think Americans are generally more hung up on nudity than other cultures (at least more than Europeans... idk about Australians lol)

Canbush said...

You tell him, Bluesmama (but we don't want any tantrums!).

More rust. Must give it a rest.

Kate, you don't realise what a traumatic experience it is for delicate shy flowers (as in plants) like myself. The old Victorian pissoirs have side protection to prevent comparative studies taking place.

shara said...

Oooh, "pissoirs"....sounds so fancy. I took a picture of the men's bathroom last night at the bar. I hate those long lines for the ladies' room.

Canbush said...

Neat idea, Lee, but I woudn't have thought you Aussies needed anything to boost your egos!

Canbush said...

I'm afraid that Monica disagrees. However I shall make no further comment in the interests of global unity.