Friday, February 03, 2006

Misty Murkiness

Back in the nineteenth century there were a group of artists by the name of Fraser living in Bedfordshire. Their speciality was melancholy, misty landscapes of the rivers and drainage channels of the Fens, a watery flat wilderness of reeds and willows. I used to own a small watercolour by one of the family and, while it was beautifully executed, it was not a cheery image to greet the morning with. I suppose I could have hung it in a cupboard to scare the mice away but instead I sold it (may even have been at a profit which would have been a novelty).

These images, taken this morning on yet another dull, sub-zero, apology for day, remind me of their work. I would have liked to link to some examples on the Internet but I couldn't find any - despite being well-respected artists, no-one has yet produced anything on the Web for them - a niche waiting to be filled.

No comments: