Sunday, February 05, 2006

A Trip to Bath

Monica and I took a trip to the City of Bath yesterday to meet up with Louisa and her husband, Dave Junior. Bath is an impossible place to park; in fact scientists should be investigating how you can drive into the centre of this city and fail to get back out again, not wasting money on giant telescopes to investigate black holes in space. Have a look at Somerset, guys; we've got one right there!

Anyroad (Yorkshire expression, allegedly), we used the Park & Ride. This is a scheme operated by many places in Britain where, in exchange for providing a bus service into the centre, you get to leave your car in a remote wide-open space so that it can be vandalised at leisure while you're away (Sorry, Bath, please don't sue - I've had no trouble in your car park - yet).

The big plus is that I get to ride on a double-decker bus, not just on the top deck but also at the front (I had to elbow some small kids out of the way for the privilege). You've no idea what a thrill that is to the school-boy-in-short-trousers that still rides along in my brain. I tried to take a picture of Monica but she has a strictly no-photographs policy so this is the best I could get - it's just an impression of my soulmate.

Trips to Bath involve progressing around a series of eating-places intermingled with shopping. I had a quest. There's a manufacturer of chutneys, relishes, aniseed balls, etc in the English Lake District called Hawkshead Relish that are at the top of the tree for these type of comestibles, as far as I'm concerned. The Bathwick Deli stocks some of their products although not the Westmoreland Chutney that I was after. This was not a problem as there were plenty of other delights to choose from (I’m food blogging again, becoming obsessive). Loaded up with glass jars, I set off once more through the Georgian splendours of Great Pulteney Street. Halfway along, I clocked a truly Bryentonesque image waiting to be captured. What is more, it fits beautifully into my ongoing 'a splash of red' theme.

Result.

(Sorry, many apologies, beginning to sound like Dave Junior who suffers from a barely controlled football obsession.)

The journey home was marred by a succession of poor drivers (not an unknown phenomenon in the UK). The worst by far and my 'Crap Driver of the Month' award winner, was a car with the registration VX51AG* (because I've got a compassionate streak I'll keep the last letter secret - but you know who you are!) - 25mph in a 50 zone, braking for every bend, braking for every car coming the other way (on a wide road) - it was insufferable. If a mouse had dared to stick a paw out on the road, we (there were many others in the tail back) would have been straight into multiple vehicle pile-up territory. Where are the forward firing aerial torpedoes when you need them?

Still it was a grand day out

3 comments:

shara said...

Even though I'll most likely never visit Bath, I feel like I've been there already and had a lovely day.

Canbush said...

Thanks, Blues Mama. I think you'd like Bath, a lot of history although unsympathetically rebuilt in parts following bombing in WW2.

Lee, correct on the door bell and thanks for the warning about the URLs - finger-trouble at this end.

I'm a big fan of chutney but too lazy to make my own. One of the ones I bought had a real ale base - seems to be a theme at the moment - , the others were Plum & Date and Mango. They'll keep me going for a few weeks!

I've spent 25 years trying to get a photo of Mon when she's not pulling a face or has her eyes closed; even sneaking up on her so she doesn't know I'm taking it is no good. She possesses some inbuilt sensor that activates her eyelids when a lens is within a 25 metre radius. I keep trying.

Peter Bryenton said...

Great impression, Dave: looks like you were both trapped in "The Matrix".