Thursday, February 16, 2006

Strong Diagonals and a Warm Bounce

From time to time the urge comes upon me to indulge in a bit of industrial archaeology. Last time this happened I satisfied it by taking myself off to the Edstone Aqueduct on the Stratford-Upon-Avon Canal. For the anoraks amongst you, I can pass on the information I gleaned from the notice board that this is the longest aqueduct in England - now wasn't that interesting?

I quite like what's happening under the bridge, image-wise. There are good strong diagonals including the shadow of one of the support girders (diagonals always seem to work well). More interesting is the soft warm light that's bouncing off the brickwork, illuminating the girder under the bridge and lifting it out from the gloom (I once lit a police officer in a drama production by bouncing a light off a brick wall - an unusual approach which even in my business would be regarded as eccentric but it was the only way I could get a light onto him; I liked it anyway)

As a structure I think the aqueduct photographs well despite it being nothing more than a long iron trough filled with water. Fortunately it was built at the beginning of the nineteenth century when the engineers, and the companies they worked for, had pride in what they were building. Even the most humble structures were imbued with dignity and grandeur.

The second image also shows a strong diagonal and a hint of arches - I love arches - I need to go back with some stout trousers, climb a barbed-wire fence and get the right angle on them.

7 comments:

Canbush said...

Sorry, Lee. I thought the expression anorak was more global than it is. I have reproduced below part of the entry from Wikipedia which should clarify things.

In British slang, anorak has come to mean "geek" or "nerd." It stems from the use of anoraks (a type of rain jacket) by train spotters, and eventually came to be used to refer to anyone with an unfathomable interest in trivial information regarded as boring by the rest of the population — aided by the intuition that only a geek would wear something so terminally unfashionable.

The word can be qualified by the area in which the person takes an (implied) excessive interest; for example in education, a "timetabling anorak" would be someone who found the process of timetabling classes fascinating.


I qualify as an anorak in several areas although I try to stay in the closet.

shara said...

Such strong clean lines. And the brick, so warm, just lovely. I took pictures yesterday of a new freeway being built and it's actually quite pretty, in an industrial way. Railroad tracks, too, those are particular favourites of mine.

I'm starting to recognize themes in my pictures, which makes me think of you and your themes. I might have to quit being so lazy and go through the thousands of pictures I've taken in the last year and sort them out with a more critical eye. I think I'll throw away more than I keep, but I guess that's just as well. There are just so many more to take, and I'm running out of hard drive space.

Canbush said...

Railroad tracks - now you're talking. I have to force myself not to take them or I'll be inundated. I've been fascinated by railways since I was about 2 years old, apparently. I'll be interested in seeing what you make of them.

Sorting pictures is a chore. Last year I went through the thousands of colour slides I'd accumulated in thirty five years and threw away about 95% of them away - they just didn't fit with the way I see images now. I only kept family and a few industrial and landscape photos I was still happy with (and, of course, any of railways!)

The theme thing does add a bit of disicipline to your shooting (but not too much - where would the fun be in that?). I think it makes you look at objects/locations in a different way, forcing you to find something where, at first glance, there is nothing. Your freeway would be a case in point. Explore that with your camera (not forgetting to wear your hard-hat - are they called that in the USA?) - there should be some great shapes to be had, lots of unusual forms and diagonals.

The trouble is, as I know well, laziness is such a compelling lifestyle

shara said...

Laziness could very well be my motto. I'm redesigning my back yard with several paths I call the paths of least resistance because I want them to go exactly where they should go and not incorporate any unnecessary (?) steps.

Keith said...

Great pictures..I just purchased a new Canon SD IS and getting bit by not just blog bug but the photgraphy bug as well....

more photos of the small towns would be appreciated.

Canbush said...

Thanks, Keith. I look forward to seeing the pics and I'll do my best on the small towns.

Not into football although my son-in-law supports Crewe Alexandra. Manchester United they are not.

Canbush said...

This sounds like something that will make my brain hurt so I think I'll try and pass it to Peter. I shall point him at the question tomorrow.