Saturday, February 25, 2006

York Steps

One of the fascinating things about looking at the world through picture making is the way that themes develop. I have ongoing quests at the moment for a ‘‘splash of red’ and for rust. Now, it would seem, judging by what caught my eye in York yesterday and some recent offerings in this journal, I’ve a thing about steps blossoming as well.

To be honest this is a longstanding interest going back thirty or more years. Occasionally I’ve been called upon to light scenes from television dramas on steps and I’ve always attacked them with relish. Get the lighting just right and they’re deeply satisfying. If I had my way all the action would take place on them (or alternatively involve couples sitting facing each other in front of a window or a roaring fire). Doubtless once again I’m revealing something deeply Freudian about myself but who cares?

I took this photograph with the Canon Ixus 50 on its auto setting. I could have done with using a slower shutter speed and getting a better sense of motion from the passers-by. Still, what do you learn from perfection? Nothing, just an uneasy feeling that there’s nowhere else to go.

4 comments:

shara said...

This looks as if it grew on its own.

Canbush said...

As far as I can discover these steps were built in 1938. They look as if they've been refurbished but there's still a strong underlying art deco feel to them. What attracted me was the curve leading up into the picture and the juxtaposition of the steps with the Victorian clock. I could do with going back again one day and seeing what else I can get.

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

the movement and twisting of this photo and the clock face seems to tick tock right out loud. love this!

Canbush said...

Thanks, Tongue in cheek antiques, much appreciated.